I need help with my circuit and microcontrollers

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gdgarced

I need help with my circuit and microcontrollers

Post by gdgarced »

Hi, I am doing the second daily hat and they are two hoodies. I have a picture of the layout but I want to know if I can use one trinket for the whole circuit, ill be having 2-16 neo pixel rings on my hat, 6 tiny neo pixel LEDs. Half on one side of my hoody and the half on the other side and the same goes for my doggy. But he will have 2-12 neo pixel rings and 6 little neo pixels.

What lipo size battery would you recommend for this layout and I'm going to solder the jst thing for the battery to the trinket. Ill be going by the becky tutorial for that. Here is the link to the picture, If I can connect it to a trinket can i go from trinket to one of the lil LEDs so i can keep my design, and can you tell me how would i wire that circuit? Im not using conductive thread by the way. Im using yr silicone 26 gauge wire. Also, I just found out today that I could have been getting help here for my hats off project, but I didn't know. I was thinking can I use all theses LEDS and use the tie circuit tutorial you have, with the mic? I don't have anymore floras and too late to order. I have other small microcontrollers. I have the mics and I like the idea that is i speck my lights go on and if Pierre barks his lights go on. https://www.flickr.com/photos/13977224@N07/15467641180/ I just checked my supply of microcontrollers, I have a Arduino pro micro,it has a 3v and 5v on the back, don't knoe
W what that means so I added, I have mini Arduino pro with the same numbers in back.i have 1 pro trinket 3v. I really like the tie circut for my hats.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: I need help with my circuit and microcontrollers

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You can easily run 38 NeoPixels from a Trinket. Just daisy chain them all together - Data Out connects to the next pixel's Data In.

How big a battery to get depends on how long you want them to run.

gdgarced

Post by gdgarced »

So I can use the tie tutorial and modify it for my hats circuits in the picture I sent you. And just use a trinket or Gemma? I just want want to Make sure that I understand you because in the tie tutorial, they are using a flora. By the way, when I upload the tie code will it be a problem because I have the rings? Thank you.

adafruit_support_rick

You'll have to modify the Ampli-Tie code for trinket or gemma. Connect the mic to D2, and connect the NeoPixels to D0.
In the code, change these lines:

Code: Select all

#define N_PIXELS  38  // Number of pixels in strand (2x16 rings and 6 pixels)
#define MIC_PIN   1  // Microphone is attached to this analog pin (same as Digital 2)
#define LED_PIN    0  // NeoPixel LED strand is connected to this pin

gdgarced

Post by gdgarced »

Rick, Thank you so much! One more thing, but what about for Pierre's hat code? He has 2- 12 neo pixel rings and and 4 lil neo pixels. Time is running out and I had some set backs due to a family tragedy, so I'm rushing to finish. If I have any issues ill be back here.

adafruit_support_rick

Should be the same. Just change the number of pixels to 28.

gdgarced

Post by gdgarced »

Thank you and I change the part where it has the smaller neo pixel rings for Pierre too right? One last thing, I have another post on a circuit about stacking the rings and I haven't gotten a reply and I would like to finish it so I can take it tonight to my hacker space to test it, can you look at it and explain to me his answer cause I'm a little confused. I'm still learning. Thanks again

adafruit_support_rick

There's nothing in the software that knows about rings, so there's nothing to change.

What's the problem with stacking the rings?

gdgarced

Post by gdgarced »

What happen was that only the bottom ring turned on and not the top. After reading the answer from here, i realized that i didn't go from out on the first to the second, i went out from gemma, in to din on first and from in there, i went to out. I then fixed it, but it didn't work, maybe because i had to much solder from the fix. So tell please how to wire them right. Here is a link to my rings, i can't send from my computer because i get an error message that it's too big, so i sent it to flicker. Oh by the way, the two other rings i want for my umbrella hat so tell me how to wire them to please. thank you again. https://www.flickr.com/photos/13977224@N07/15457022387/

adafruit_support_rick

You should wire them this way:
GEMMA -> Data In on the first ring
Data Out on the first ring -> Data In on the second ring.
Chain 5V and GND from the first ring to the second ring

gdgarced

Post by gdgarced »

Thanks Rick, will do. Thank you again for all the help!!

firedingo

Post by firedingo »

what about running 2x 24 neo pixel rings together? Do i need the arduino uno?

adafruit_support_rick

You can still run 2 x 24 pixel rings on a Gemma.

firedingo

Post by firedingo »

is it best to use a gemma or a trinket?

adafruit_support_rick

firedingo wrote:is it best to use a gemma or a trinket?
Depends on what your project is. The gemma is designed to be used in wearables. The trinket has more I/O pins.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”