RGB LED used in the 32x32 panel

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tjwood

RGB LED used in the 32x32 panel

Post by tjwood »

The 32x32 panel says it maxes at 2A for all-on, which seems like it works out to 2mA per pixel. On the other hand the NeoPixels are up at 60mA when on full white.

Is this due to the driver in the NeoPixel, as opposed to having to constantly refresh? Maybe NeoPixel's are just brighter? Or maybe the LEDs in the 32x32 are just more efficient? I'm looking at building my own boards and would love to investigate if the chips in the 32x32 panel are suitable. Thanks!

hiduino

Re: RGB LED used in the 32x32 panel

Post by hiduino »

You can't really compare them, they use different technologies. The 32x32 panels use PWM to modulate the pixels, so they will use less energy. The NeoPixels use a constant current driver chip so they ultimately use more power.

tjwood

Re: RGB LED used in the 32x32 panel

Post by tjwood »

Huh? Sure you can compare them!

As my original post stated, I realize you have to refresh the LEDs in the 32x32 panel (one difference) but I like the lower power (another difference) and I'm wondering about the brightness (possibly different -- I don't know!). Depending on how all these factors weigh out, I might pick one or the other. Give my hope for my project (~1000 LEDs), the NeoPixel seems like it would use way too much power, so I'm interested to find out more about alternatives, even if I need to use a faster non-integrated driver.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”