14-segment LED Backpack Programming Issue

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
garyvdg

14-segment LED Backpack Programming Issue

Post by garyvdg »

I have just received a 14-segment LED (alphanumeric) HT16K33 Backpack and have not been able to get it running.

I have downloaded and installed both the Adafruit_LEDBackpack and the Adafruit_GFX libraries in my Libraries folder. I got these by following the link directly from the LED displays tutorial page.

When I try to upload a sample program(to Arduino Ethernet), such as quadalphanum, I get a long list of errors such as below.

This seems to suggest I need other libraries, but not sure. Is anyone aware of why these errors are occurring?
C:\Users\Gary\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_LEDBackpack\Adafruit_LEDBackpack.cpp: In constructor 'Adafruit_8x16matrix::Adafruit_8x16matrix()':
C:\Users\Gary\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_LEDBackpack\Adafruit_LEDBackpack.cpp:298: error: no matching function for call to 'Adafruit_GFX::Adafruit_GFX(int, int)'
C:\Users\Gary\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control/Adafruit_GFX.h:41: note: candidates are: Adafruit_GFX::Adafruit_GFX(const Adafruit_GFX&)
C:\Users\Gary\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control/Adafruit_GFX.h:41: note: Adafruit_GFX::Adafruit_GFX()
C:\Users\Gary\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_LEDBackpack\Adafruit_LEDBackpack.cpp: In constructor 'Adafruit_8x8matrix::Adafruit_8x8matrix()':
C:\Users\Gary\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_LEDBackpack\Adafruit_LEDBackpack.cpp:337: error: no matching function for call to 'Adafruit_GFX::Adafruit_GFX(int, int)'
C:\Users\Gary\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control/Adafruit_GFX.h:41: note: candidates are: Adafruit_GFX::Adafruit_GFX(const Adafruit_GFX&)
C:\Users\Gary\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Robot_Control/Adafruit_GFX.h:41: note: Adafruit_GFX::Adafruit_GFX()
C:\Users\Gary\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_LEDBackpack\Adafruit_LEDBackpack.cpp: In constructor 'Adafruit_BicolorMatrix::Adafruit_BicolorMatrix()':
C:\Users\Gary\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Adafruit_LEDBackpack\Adafruit_LEDBackpack.cpp:374: error: no matching function for call to 'Adafruit_GFX::Adafruit_GFX(int, int)'

adafruit_support_rick

Re: 14-segment LED Backpack Programming Issue

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You apparently don't have the Adafruit_GFX library installed in the correct location, as Arduino is finding the older version of the library that comes with the Arduino installation.
Are you installing Adafruit_GFX into your sketchbook libraries folder, or are you installing it into the Arduino libraries folder?
Please review this tutorial on the correct installation of libraries:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-all ... nstall-use

jaredg123

Post by jaredg123 »

Hello I am also having having problems with programming my backpacks I get a series of errors like this:
C:\Users\Jared\Downloads\arduino-0023\arduino-0023\libraries\Adafruit_LEDBackpack\Adafruit_LEDBackpack.cpp:53: error: expected initializer before 'PROGMEM'
C:\Users\Jared\Downloads\arduino-0023\arduino-0023\libraries\Adafruit_LEDBackpack\Adafruit_LEDBackpack.cpp: In member function "void Adafruit_LEDBackpack::setBrightness(unit8-t)':
C:\Users\Jared\Downloads\arduino-0023\arduino-0023\libraries\Adafruit_LEDBackpack\Adafruit_LEDBackpack.cpp:188: error: 'class TwoWire' has no member named 'write'
The 'class TwoWire' has no member named 'write is repeated about ten times!!
I have deleted library files in all the other locations leaving only the ones in the library folder.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You're still using Arduino 0.23? Please upgrade to a modern version

Also, you should not be installing Adafruit libraries in the Arduino libraries folder. You should create a folder 'libraries' inside your sketchbook folder for user libraries.
Please see our tutorial on installing libraries:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-all ... nstall-use

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”