Custom string of neopixels?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ericny523

Custom string of neopixels?

Post by ericny523 »

Hello! I'm doing my first project with neopixels, and none of the current form-factors (light strips, LED strings, etc) fit what I'm looking for with my project.

I'm curious if anybody has had experience making custom string of neopixels using the 5mm through-hole LED's (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1938). I'm looking to see what types of problems or struggles you ran into along the way, specifically:

- How you went about wiring them together? (type of wires, mounting jig, etc)
- Any issues you ran into along the way
- What (if anything) did you use to re-inforce the solder points (I'm looking to hang the strings and don't know if the solder can hold the weight of the string)

Any input would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks!

davidl13

Re: Custom string of neopixels?

Post by davidl13 »

Try searching this forum for "1938" and you'll see a number of posts, some detailing some serious struggles. I'd suggest using something other than 1938, especially if it's anywhere close to your first project.

ericny523

Re: Custom string of neopixels?

Post by ericny523 »

Thanks for the info! Definitely learned a bit from doing that search. We're going to explore other options, and maybe buy a small set of the 1938's to see if our application and implementation carry the same struggles.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”