Dead Neopixels on Strip

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JamesCoyle

Re: Dead Neopixels on Strip

Post by JamesCoyle »

Well I have a PC running off the power supply so there should be plenty of load on all of the rails.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Considering that it is the end of the strip rather than the start, I would suspect it is more likely a victim of ESD than a power supply spike. This is the time of year for ESD, and an un-sheathed led strip has dozens of exposed pins and pads that could take a hit.

JamesCoyle

Post by JamesCoyle »

So I'm assuming there is nothing that can be done and I have wasted around £20 after shipping and taxes? Having built PCs and worked with sensitive electronics in the past I am always vigilant when it comes to ESD. I made sure I was wearing cotton clothing as well as an anti-static wristband and I regularly touched the metal of my computer case in order to make absolutely sure any static was discharged. The PCB has sat on the wood you can see in the first picture and hadn't touched any electronics or material that is likely to produce a static charge. If you are telling me that even after taking all of those precautions that static electricity has damaged the strip then perhaps the product needs to be redesigned in-order to better protect against it.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”