SSD1306 brightness is low even at max value

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Yakeru

SSD1306 brightness is low even at max value

Post by Yakeru »

Hello,

I am currently working with the adafruit 128x32 SSD1306 display plugged to an Atmega328p (no arduino bootloader, dev. in C with atmel studio, making my own lib) and I have an issue with the contrast/brightness of the display.

I managed to send various commands to the SSD1306 via SPI and to change the contrast, turn all pixels on or send data to display things etc.. but even with a 0xFF value for the contrast it's really not that bright, I don't see a big difference with a contrast a 50% or 100%.

At the beginning I thought that the power supply was too weak, since I am powering the SSD1306 directly with outputs from the Atmega, but according to the datasheet, even with all pixel on it draws less than a mA, and the Atmega can provide way more than that. Plus I tried turning on just a few pixels and it doesn't change anything.

Then I tested u8glib to control the screen, and it's way brighter with the same power source.

So I was wondering if I was missing something in the config or various commands to send to the SSD1306 to get the full brightness. I don't see what I missed when reading the datasheet.

Can anybody help me on that ?

Thanks,

Yakeru

adafruit_support_rick

Re: SSD1306 brightness is low even at max value

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

I recommend looking at the adafruit SSD1306 library to see what commands are sent to initialize the display.

Also, I think you must have read the OLED panel datasheet wrong - it will draw a max of 8.5mA with all pixels lit. The display datasheet also shows the startup and shutdown sequences you must follow.

Yakeru

Re: SSD1306 brightness is low even at max value

Post by Yakeru »

Hello Rick,

You're right, I ended up reading adafruit's lib and found what I forgot to do :-)
And for the current draw I will check again for the 8,5 mA, it was probably the current draw from the controller that I found and not from the screen itself.
Anyways, it stays way under what the Atmega can provide so it should be ok.

Thank you,

Yakeru

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”