flickering with 128 pixels

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
alxyuu

flickering with 128 pixels

Post by alxyuu »

Hi there,

I have two neomatrix 8x8 boards connected to a 5v 8a power supply. Both are connected directly to the power supply, with the data out of the first board connected to the data in of the second board, all controlled by a esp8266.

I've noticed occasional flickering with the second board (and sometimes with some of the later pixels of the first board). I checked all my connections and they look solid, so I don't /think/ that's the problem. Is it possible that there's too much of a voltage drop after the first board? I know in the instructions you guys recommend a direct connection to the power supply every meter of strip, but what about the data in voltage? The esp8266 is a 3.3v chip so the voltage is already kind of low to begin with.

Franklin97355

Re: flickering with 128 pixels

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you have access to a 5v processor you could try that or get a level shifter chip to bring data up to 5v.

alxyuu

Re: flickering with 128 pixels

Post by alxyuu »

Actually, I ended up using the second gpio port on the esp8266 to control the second board, and it looks like everything is running smoothly so far!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”