Running Multiple Dotstar Strips from one Uno

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sshh

Running Multiple Dotstar Strips from one Uno

Post by sshh »

Hi,

I'm working on a project that involves controlling 6 distinct DotStar strips using an Arduino Uno. As I'm quite new to this, I would appreciate it if someone could answer some queries.

1) Do the different output pins (those that support PWM and those that don't) matter? In other words, am I able to connect 6 strips to strip1_data = pin 2, strip1_clock = pin 3 ... strip6_data = pin 12, strip6_clock = pin 13?

2) With regards to powering the LED, I've ordered a 5V 4A power supply which should do the job as none of the strips would exceed 30cm. I'm thinking of soldering the 5V+ and GRD from all 6 strips together, and then connecting it to the 2.1mm female jack, would that be feasible? In addition, for the ground connection between the LED strips and the Arduino, which GRD pin on the Arduino should I be using? (the ones between the 5V/9V, or the one together with the digital IO pins, or does it not matter)

3) Does the Arduino support runtime user input? I would need to switch between different "modes" on the LEDs without the use of a hardware button, is it possible to do it from the terminal (cin, cout, etc)? I do have some experience in C/C++ but I'm not familiar with the Arduino implementation. Or am I just fresh out of luck and would have to switch "modes" through delays (acceptable but not preferred).

EDIT: 4) I need each of the 6 individual strips in roughly a oblique "L" shape, with the angle between the two segments at approximately 120deg, and lying rather flat against the ground. Would it be safe to "fold" the strip into the shape with a bit of creasing or would I have to cut and solder the the strips? It would only be folded once and set in the position thereafter (ie, no straightening and refolding required).

Many thanks

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Running Multiple Dotstar Strips from one Uno

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

1) The pins you use don't matter. The DotStars don't use PWM
sshh wrote:2) With regards to powering the LED, I've ordered a 5V 4A power supply which should do the job as none of the strips would exceed 30cm. I'm thinking of soldering the 5V+ and GRD from all 6 strips together, and then connecting it to the 2.1mm female jack, would that be feasible?
Yes, that's a good way to do it. Use any of the Arduino ground pins for the common ground.
sshh wrote:3) Does the Arduino support runtime user input?
Yes. You can use the serial-over-USB connection, or you can connect directly to GPIO pins.
sshh wrote:4) I need each of the 6 individual strips in roughly a oblique "L" shape,
I don't think there's enough space between pixels for a fold, even on the 60 pixel/m strips. Soldering them is not difficult.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”