Question on testing EL tape

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
elaine_carpentier

Question on testing EL tape

Post by elaine_carpentier »

Rookie question- I bought one 100cm length of EL tape and two AA inverters and need to demo the tape to my boss, but don't want to cut the strip in half. Should I use attach both inverters to either end of the strip to power it for the purposes of the demo? I don't want to overpower it and burn it out.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Question on testing EL tape

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

No - you can't attach two inverters to one piece of tape. Does the tape not work with a single inverter?

elaine_carpentier

Post by elaine_carpentier »

The info on the EL tape page reads "Note that the maximum amount for the 2xAA pocket inverter we carry is 60cm so don't try to run the full strip off of one inverter - it will look dim and isnt nice to the inverter - cut it in half first!"

I don't want to cut the 100 cm piece in half, so I wanted to know if I should attach an inverter at both ends to get the max illumination and to avoid damaging the inverter.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Ah. No, you can't attach an inverter at both ends. You can either cut the tape or get a more powerful inverter.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”