Neopixel Inquiery

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
BONZO

Neopixel Inquiery

Post by BONZO »

Hi, my name is Javi and I'm trying to setup a lighting project using LED strips for my band's live performances.
I have seen the Neopixel 144 LED strips and think that they are really cool so I wanted to use them but I wanted to know a couple of things before purchasing them.
The idea is to control the strips using a software triggered via MIDI while we play.

I'm a total beginner in this LED world so I'm trying to learn. And I find Arduino very hard so I have opted for a computer software. So far I think I have the setup figured and now I need the different elements.I will use Jinx! software to control the system; output via Ethernet to a converter like this: http://alturl.com/brffs where I can connect the strips.
My question is: are the Neopixel strips compatible and can be connected and controlled in this manner?

Thanks
Javi

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Neopixel Inquiery

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We have not tested them with that controller.
But our Neopixel strips use WS2812B chips, so they should be compatible.

BONZO

Post by BONZO »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have read that the strips shouldn't be bent constantly and as I want them to be portable, to take them from gig to gig I was thinking of joining different lenghts so that I can fold them by the joints. Could you please advise me on what cable from your catalogue should I use to do this? I have had a look at the "Cable Assemblies" section but can't figure it out.

Cheers

adafruit_support_bill

What is the total length of strip you will be using?
How long will sections be?

BONZO

Post by BONZO »

Not sure yet but a possible idea is: a square of 1m long each side (inside of which will stand a person).
I thought of joining 4 1m strips to do this (so each strip will be one side of the square).
Total length: 4m
Each segment: 1m

adafruit_support_bill

We don't have any 'plug & play' cable assemblies for these strips. You will need to solder the connections.

For interconnections between strips, I would recommend using a stranded wire and some strain relief to protect the solder-joints from the repeated flexing. 18 AWG would be good for power and ground. For the signal wire, you can use the same, or something lighter.

For 4 x 144 pixel strips, you will want to feed power to multiple points. With a 1 meter square configuration, feeding power to opposite corners would be a good plan.
http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neop ... -practices

BONZO

Post by BONZO »

Sounds good!

Another thing I forgot to ask: In the best practices guide you advice to "minimize the distance between Arduino and the first pixel".
Does this apply too to a setup like the one I want to do? The controller will be in the middle of 3 musicians so 2 of them will be far from it.

Thanks so much for your help and advice!

adafruit_support_bill

Long runs may suffer from noise, ringing and other signal degradation. In general, shorter is better. If you need to do long runs, several customers have had good results using RS-485 line-drivers to buffer the signal. They have reported success driving distances of 100 feet or more.

BONZO

Post by BONZO »

Hi,

I'm interested in purchasing your Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Strip - Black 60 LED - BLACK.
I just wanted to check that I understand the price right: it is $24.95 per meter right? So if I want to purchase 4 meters I should order a Qty of 4 right?

I also wanted to ask about the new Dotstar strips. I'm a total beginner and I don't quite understand the two pin requirement.
I will be using this controller from Sandevices: http://sandevices.com/E6804Info.html.
Will I be able to control Dotstar strips? How should I make the connections? I guess I will have to connect one pin to Data and the other to Clock, right?

Many thanks for your time.
Javi

adafruit_support_bill

I just wanted to check that I understand the price right: it is $24.95 per meter right? So if I want to purchase 4 meters I should order a Qty of 4 right?
That is correct.
I also wanted to ask about the new Dotstar strips. I'm a total beginner and I don't quite understand the two pin requirement.
I will be using this controller from Sandevices:
The Neopixel strips use WS2812B pixels. The DotStar uses the APA102C. This guide explains the practical differences between them: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-dotstar-leds

You should check with Sandevices to make sure that their controller is compatible.

BONZO

Post by BONZO »

Many thanks, you're really helpful!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”