DotStar Dead Pixel

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mrminion123654

DotStar Dead Pixel

Post by mrminion123654 »

Hello there,
I recently purchased the Adafruit DotStar Digital LED Strip - Black 30 LED - Per Meter - BLACK PID: 2237.

I successfully hooked the strip up, powering with an Adafruit 5V 10A switching power supply. I followed the Neopixel instructions as directed, including a capacitor on power and resistor for the data line. Loaded the "strandtest" test code and everything worked perfectly, with one exception.

The fourth pixel appears to be dead. When powered and running, the pixel is capable of changing to any color and brightness intensity. But, when no data is sent, the pixel remains a dimly lit blue, until power is disconnected.

This would be fine, except that I want to use this strip in complete darkness until it needs to be lit. For this reason, it's pretty important to me that all pixels remain dark until addressed.

Any idea why this might be happening? I've attached pictures below.

Thanks!

Franklin97355

Re: DotStar Dead Pixel

Post by Franklin97355 »

Since the Dotstars have a clock and a data line try using a resistor on both lines to see if that helps.

mrminion123654

Post by mrminion123654 »

Just put a resistor on both lines. Unfortunately, this did not fix it; the faint blue light is still lit when not being addressed.

mrminion123654

Post by mrminion123654 »

Any other ideas? Really want to get this working for a couple of projects. Thanks!

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Don't know why this would be happening. Email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement strip.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”