TFT 2.8 1601B Desktop Not Correct With Easy Install On Pi 2

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wstrater

TFT 2.8 1601B Desktop Not Correct With Easy Install On Pi 2

Post by wstrater »

Just got a Pi 2 and a TFT 2.8 LCD, 1601B. Installed the easy install image, 2015-02-16-raspbian-pitft28r_150312.zip, and have been having issues with the display.

The raspi-config was difficult to use since the menu items appeared compressed but I expanded my file system and rebooted.

Able to log in and startx. The display comes up but all I see is the Wastebasket on the Raspberry Pi desktop image. No menu or anything else. I am able to move the cursor around with a resistive stylus. I can move the Wastebasket around the screen but have not been able to open it. I have no way of getting out of X with pulling the power.

Start poking around on the console and realized my "standard" keyboard, an HP KU-0316 with the '|' below the backspace and above the enter key, does not work so I can not pipe to less. This keyboard works with other machines including Windows XP & 7, Ubuntu and Redhat just by plugging it in. I can see it running lsusb. I ran raspi-config again and tried setting up the keyboard but no improvement. Even tried setting up Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to exit X but that did not work.

It looks like I have a 99-fbturbo.conf in my home directory and FRAMEBUFFER is set to /dev/fb1.

Not connected to the Internet so I have not done an update yet.

Thanks,
Wes.

wstrater

Re: TFT 2.8 1601B Desktop Not Correct With Easy Install On P

Post by wstrater »

Was able to get Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to exit X but still having issues with the '|'. I forgot to mention that pressing the '|' yields a '~'.

Thanks,
Wes.

wstrater

Post by wstrater »

I was able to select enough US locale options to get the keyboard working. I don't ever remember having to do so much keyboard set up in the past. Maybe I started with an image that had a US locale selected instead of a GB locale. Also could be that I use SSH instead of a local keyboard for most of my past Pi work.

Still do not have a solution for my display. Comparing the expected results from the documentation to what I see on my screen there are several notable differences.

1. I see a Wastebasket icon on my screen but do not see it on screen shots in the documentation.
2. I have no task bar.
3. The background is almost the entire raspberry. I see most of the leafs on the top and all of the raspberry except a little off the bottom. The screen shots show about the center 1/9 of what mine shows.

Wes.

wstrater

Post by wstrater »

Tried a clean install of the Easy Install image and the display is still not usable.

Wes.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

yah raspbian's x11 has changed a bunch in the last few years so the desktop looks different. Its the exact same resolution tho! you can try running lxde with a lower 'dpi' to have it render more
e.g.
FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1 startx -- -dpi 60
mess with that last number

wstrater

Post by wstrater »

I tried 5, 15, 30, 60, 90, 120, 240 and 360. The only difference was the size of the font for 'Trash'. It was quite large and on two lines at 360 and barely readable at 30. The size of the icon, the background and the cursor appeared to be the same in all case. I also never saw the task bar.

I tried 480, 540 and 720. The icon did not display on the first attempt and only the cursor on a black background displayed on the second attempt of the any resolution including 360 and less unless I rebooted.

Wes.

mraction

Post by mraction »

I'm amazed that this post still doesn't have a reply. Note: I'm intentionally disregarding the reply about resolution, as the OP clearly stated it didn't solve his problem of only having a Wastebasket icon on his screen.

I found the installation guide lacking. Following the 'easy setup' end to end I just had a blank screen with an underscore on the top left. After hours digging around in forums I eventually found a solution to getting some form of desktop to render on boot. Now, I'm in the same boat as this poster with the only icon being the BANNED (not a resolution issue, it takes up about 15% of the screen and there is clearly room for other icons - there just aren't any). I was expecting to see the standard looking desktop often pictured with the pi. I.e. the pi wallpaper, and some sort of menu, or at least a few icons. All I see is the BANNED. To be clearer, I was under the impression that it would show me a small scale version of what I would see if I used VNC or connected a HDMI display. It is after all just a screen that's been plugged in.

Would be nice to have a full end-to-end tutorial that assumes no prior knowledge (apart from perhaps comfort typing commands into the terminal), and actually goes through all the required steps. If that's not possible, it would be nice to see some after-sales support, for example, helping the OP out with a solution to his issue.

I understand that this is open-source, and that there's a very big community around the whole DIY and google for the answers ethos. However, in this case, googling doesn't turn up much and whilst I have a fair amount of experience with Linux, hardware hacking and setting up TFT displays is new terrain for me. A little bit of hand holding would be appreciated here. I purchased an already assemble TFT from Adafruit because I'm time poor and was under the impression it would be as simple as plug and play (which is also how you guys have marketed it).

A solution for getting the rPi desktop to display on the TFT screen when you're stuck with only seeing this icon would be terrific.

aguerrieri

Post by aguerrieri »

I have exactly the same problem. Only the wastebasket appears. Any hints? It's pretty hard to use like this...

IanRH

Post by IanRH »

I am having the same problem. I tried re calibrating, and messing around with the screen resolution but the screen is still way zoomed in.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”