Pitft 2.2" HAT Displaying only white

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JohnnytheRocket

Pitft 2.2" HAT Displaying only white

Post by JohnnytheRocket »

Hi, I have run into some problems trying to install a pitft 2.2" HAT display onto my Raspberry Pi 2.

I have tried the easy install using the DIY installer script, the notro FBTFT, the detailed installation and is currently on the easy entire image installation.

In all cases, the end result has been that the Pi is seemingly booting correctly, displaying the process through the HDMI-connection, only to the end with four lines of different fbtft_of_value:s. (buswidth = 0, debug = 0, rotate = 270 and fps = 20). Meanwhile, the pitft displays nothing but a brightly lit white screen. I am guessing everything but the display is working (at least I can reboot with ctrl-alt-del).

In other threads some people have adjusted the screen connector, but after some examination I have not found one on this model and therefore does not believe its applicable in this case.

The first thing I am unsure of in my installation is that the included GPIO header is neither soldered on or indeed used at all at the moment. Granted, I am very new to any sort of electronics, but I see no reason to why the header should be necessary (especially since the pitft rests quite well height-wise on the HDMI-port). Please correct me if I am wrong.

The other thing I am unsure of is that I have simply placed the pitft on the Pi (with the GPIO pins through the contacts, of course), but again have not soldered anything. Is this required to get the connection needed? Again I am very new to electronics and have slim to none soldering experience or access to a soldering iron, so I would very much like to know if I can get the display to work before I try to solder it to the Pi (additionally, for the project I am working on, I am not sure if the display optimal to have there).

Thank you for your time!

JohnnytheRocket

Re: Pitft 2.2" HAT Displaying only white

Post by JohnnytheRocket »

So I managed to "fix" my problem, and it does look as it was a connection problem with the GPIO pins. I fiddled around a bit and eventually pushed the "pin side" further down, which produced a refreshing black screen after booting (the backlight is still going though, so I know it is on). The pitft is in other words quite slanted as well, so I guess soldering is highly recommended for a real fix...

A new problem has however revealed itself, as nothing but blackness is showing up on the display. Searching for a solution at the moment, but would naturally gladly accept a reply in here as well :)

UPDATE
So yet again the villain was a untrustworthy GPIO pin connection, as I pushed down the "pin side" of the board even harder and the boot screen suddenly popped up when I rebooted. I guess the moral is to solder first and ask question later.

Dhasradar

Re: Pitft 2.2" HAT Displaying only white

Post by Dhasradar »

Hello, i got a pi 3 model b and a piTFT. I plugged the pi to the monitor via HDMI and also installed the TFT on to the headers. I am on my monitor now using the pi. I install Kernel and configure the piTFT. This was written down in easy install but when i finish i reboot t as it is says on the the instructions. i type ..

[sudo reboot]

It reboots but what happens now was in the Welcome to Raspberry Pi, powered by Raspbian section, it stops loading when it gets to "rc. local service"

I also tried the image which also did not work ( http://adafru.it/sbg )

I then tried the Detailed Installation, no it did not work.

How do I manage to solve the White Screen?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”