PiTFT with Win10 IoT?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nargzul

PiTFT with Win10 IoT?

Post by nargzul »

Hi,

I just baught a PiTFT to act as a display for a project that I would like to run with windows 10 IoT.

I didn't checked a lot before I taught it was receiving the signal through HDMI, but it's not, it's through the GPIO.

So do you know how/if it's possible to make it works in some ways? I was hopping it would be possible since I saw this: https://microsoft.hackster.io/en-US/jtl ... 0-iot-core

adafruit_support_rick

Re: PiTFT with Win10 IoT?

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

We are looking into Win10 support for the PiTFT, but we have no estimate on when (or if) it will ever be available. Sorry.

nargzul

Post by nargzul »

Ok.

On the same topic, do you plan to create some example of code to use your components with Win10? I just tried to use the MPC9808 through I2C, I had a really hard time

adafruit_support_rick

No, we don't really have any plans to support Win10 that I know of.

nschleich

Post by nschleich »

I too am looking for devices to test with my Windows 10 IoT Core Raspberry Pi. Your firm has great devices. Any news regarding a roadmap for Windows 10 support with respect to your hardware? Libraries and such.

adafruit_support_rick

I don't know of anything.

dcuccia

Post by dcuccia »

+1 for this request. I can confirm that on the 7" PiTFT (https://www.adafruit.com/products/2718), video output works great on the latest Windows 10 IoT distro, But unfortunately, even basic touch-mouse use is not recognized.

adafruit_support_rick

That display is supported by the Pi Foundation. As far as I know, Adafruit has no plans to start building Win10 drivers at this time.

TheWerewolf

Post by TheWerewolf »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:No, we don't really have any plans to support Win10 that I know of.
Uhm.. first you say that AdaFruit is looking into it - then you say AdaFruit has no plans to support Win10 IoT at all.

I get that most Linux types hate Microsoft with an irrational passion, so I'm not that surprised AdaFruit won't support Win10, but to be fair to customers who may not share the hate, it might be a good idea to make note of this on the actual packaging for products that can be used on Raspberry Pis since that group seems to be ok with Microsoft and are working with them...

I too just bought the PiTFT on the apparently mistaken belief that if it's for the Pi it would support at least the OSes that the Pi Foundation supports. I'll be sure to avoid AdaFruit products in the future now that I know they're essentially incompatible with Raspberry Pi on the platform I prefer.

dcuccia

Post by dcuccia »

In the spirit of "be(ing) excellent to each other," I'm not sure that's a completely fair assessment. Where exactly do they say they support Win10 IoT for this product?

AdaFruit employees are provably working hard to deliver good products and experiences to their customers. Compared to other vendors, with much larger resources, AdaFruit goes out of their way to document what works and to provide extensive getting started tutorials. I suspect "Linux types" don't like to be stereotyped, either. I know for a fact that @ladyada's main PC is Windows system, and that AdaFruit partnered with Microsoft on an IoT starter pack for their Win10 IoT release.

Perhaps you could be more helpful, and give the good people here another "+1". If you wanted to be more excellent than I was, perhaps you could provide a concrete example of your use case, and/or other research you've found on work that's being done in the open elsewhere on this topic.

adafruit_support_rick

Actually, we have started working on Win IoT drivers for Adafruit products. However, I don't think we have the capability to develop a PiTFT driver. That's something Microsoft would have to come up with.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”