Need Portable Power for Long EL Wire

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mugiboogie

Need Portable Power for Long EL Wire

Post by mugiboogie »

Currently working with EL wire, but my current project requires almost the entire length of the EL wire. I was able to get it to work with with both a 9-volt battery cell and 8xAA battery cells (12V), with, of course, the latter being brighter. I would love to have the brightness of the 12V battery, but putting 8xAA batteries is not only heavy, but will not be portable enough for this project. I was considering purchasing an A23 battery holder and soldering it to my 12V inverter and connecting it to the EL Wire. However, I'm not sure if anyone has done this before, and I'd hate to invest into it, only to find out it might not work.

Any tips or suggestions? Anyone tried illuminating a long EL wire with something other than a AA or AAA battery?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Need Portable Power for Long EL Wire

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If it works well with a 12v battery pack, you should get close to the same performance from an 11.1v LiPo pack. These are available in a variety of sizes from on-line battery vendors. Some are quite compact. (You will need a suitable charger to go with it.)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”