Neopixel LED Strip - Fire Hazard?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
playmozey

Neopixel LED Strip - Fire Hazard?

Post by playmozey »

Hi,

I am fairly new to Arduino projects and I am wondering if using the Neopixel LED Strip that can be powered by a 5V 10A power supply could cause a potential fire hazard. I am confident in my ability to wire the LEDs appropriately, but I assume there could be a potential for a fire hazard. If so I think I will wait on using the Neopixel LED Strip until I have more experience with building electronics. Can I please have some input for using something like this?

BTW, I am building a hamster cage and would like to use the LEDs to light the cage :)

Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Neopixel LED Strip - Fire Hazard?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

10A is a significant amount of current and capable of causing ignition if not handled with due care.
Make sure that all of your connecting wire is capable of handling 10A.
Make sure that all connections are secure and well insulated to protect against short circuits.
Adding a fuse to cut power in the event of an accidental short is a wise precaution as well.

playmozey

Post by playmozey »

Can you please suggest a safe and easy alternative to control a few color changing LEDs, perhaps the Neopixel ring? I would prefer it to be battery powered. If this is the case, would there still be a risk? I mean, if I power the arduino with a battery, what is a good set up for powering the lights through the on board regulated power?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you want to power everything by battery, you could use a 4xAA battery holder. That will be enough to power the Arduino and a Neopixel ring.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”