Electrical engineering for girls

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Beep_Boop_Jellywoop

Electrical engineering for girls

Post by Beep_Boop_Jellywoop »

Hi, my name is Erica
And I am currently in the process of putting together a project proposal for Engineering Australian setting to run a nation wide program for grade 9 (14yr olds) female students to get them interested in electrical engineering.
I was looking at the Gemma and Flora to start with and possibly the maKey maKey.
I need help finding age appropriate and unusual projects to specifically target the girls interests.

Do you know of any great tutorials or projects that I could start of with?
Remembering that these girls don't typically have any knowledge of circuits or software and I have ZERO funding currently so it needs to be cost effective.

It's a big ask but everyone's input would be greatly appreciated to get our girls making in the land down under ;)

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Electrical engineering for girls

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Hi Erica,

Have you looked through the projects in our Learning System:
https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=gemma
https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=flora

These range from simple entry-level projects to the more complex. Also watch for Becky's Wearable Wednesday project videos.
https://www.adafruit.com/beckystern

janetg

Post by janetg »

Build a model house and put electronics into it, Smart House. We have had continued interest in our Smart House classes for the past 10 years. The project is are cardboard, container, junk and doodad dream home for ages 9-12. This weeks Smart House camp produced a new feature climbing walls and jacuzzis made of egg carton cups. Children spend about half of each day (1.20 hours)working with programming and the other half building their model. We used the Adafruit Gemma, a photo cell, 10mm LEd and a piezo buzzer to the house. Sensor that controls a light and beeper. Developed for ages 9-12, 3 hours a day over 5 days . It is normal to have 3/4 of the class being girls. this week we had 8 girls and 4 boys.

chathamstem

Post by chathamstem »

Janetg-
I am very interested in leveraging your experience.
Would you be amenable to sharing ?
The more details you can provide, the quicker we could be up and running. We hope for a Maker after school program to start in September but we need a "curriculum".

Nabil Mouline
ChathamSTEM
Chatham, NJ
NJ 07928
[email protected]

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”