coming soon: "adafruit skill badges" for students, makers, hackers and everyone...

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit

coming soon: "adafruit skill badges" for students, makers, hackers and everyone...

Post by adafruit »

we are almost done with our first release of "skill badges" these are for makers, hackers, educators, students and just about anyone who wants to reward, or be rewarded, for learning useful skills. there are a few that are not shown, we're wrapping up some more designs but they'll be added shortly: blue smoke, drawdio, circuit bending and a few surprises. these are made in the USA (go NJ!) physical, GORGEOUS, embroidered badges :)
badges!
badges!
holder.jpg (72.6 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
any company logo/name used was contacted and we were given permission, we wanted to be inclusive and get a lot of different ones for launch. some of the badges like MAKE and FIRST are just ones we are going to resell, since they had great ones already. the badges we design will be creative commons and on github. we have a great vendor and designer that works with us that gets open-source!

we've had the soldering badge or years now, and have had these designs waiting for years. it took us awhile to have the right partners and people to finally get these done.

let us know what you think of them, we're very happy with them :)

they're rolling out here and here over the next few days/weeks/months and years :)

http://www.adafruit.com/category/70
http://www.adafruit.com/educators

cheers,
adafruit

jyohe

Re: coming soon: "adafruit skill badges" for students, makers, hackers and everyone...

Post by jyohe »

So ... where in My Account does the change take place to display badges? The ( http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=badges ) page states, "Change the settings in the "My Account" section to choose which of your badges are visible to the public", but all I see in my account is a statement, "You currently do not have any Adafruit Badges" but with nowhere to incorporate such a change.

Perhaps it would make more sense for me to ask about how I "earn" such a badge?

adafruit

Re: coming soon: "adafruit skill badges" for students, makers, hackers and everyone...

Post by adafruit »

hi jyohe!

this is "coming soon"- we have not released the earned badge program yet, but we will very soon and will post here!

thanks,
adafruit

akemp

Post by akemp »

This is a brilliant idea, especially with its application in a classroom. I cannot wait to see how excited my students will be when they find out they can earn a badge when they are proficient with the laser cutter, soldering iron, makerbot, etc.

This really is a great way of reinforcing the importance of understanding these skills.

isdale

Post by isdale »

These are great -- and sending a sample set to Mark F at BoingBoing/Makezine was great idea.

The one thing that is needed asap is a sample set of 'how to earn' pages. These would be sample/example activities to earn the badges that could be adapted by various organizations/individuals. Maybe something in the ladaAda.net wiki?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Hi Jerry,

We don't requirements for all the badges yet, but here is what we have so far: http://adafruit.com/academy

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”