Help with Community Service Project for High School Students

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kmemmons

Help with Community Service Project for High School Students

Post by kmemmons »

Members of our community posed a challenge to my engineering design/electronics high school students: Design and build a display sign for downtown that incorporates images of the town when it was first incorporated in the 1800's and include a push button audio track that plays back sounds from the time period.

No other parameters were offered, just a "get it done". So, I am wondering what you all think about using the arduino uno with a wave shield and adding a solar panel and a lipo to handle powering this sign. Being in Michigan, this sign needs to tolerate a wide range of temperatures and precipitation.

I like the idea of using a build kit project instead of a ready to go voice recorder so the students experience as much design as possible and this looks like it might be a good intro into arduinos.

Please share your thoughts.

Kevin Emmons
PLTW Teacher
Clarkston High School

adafruit

Re: Help with Community Service Project for High School Students

Post by adafruit »

you'll need to get a good waterproof box, we have waterproof buttons that you can use that should stand up to abuse - but its probably not going to be something that can be solar powered nicely so you should try to get a power drop. either way someone will probably need to maintain it, check every month for issues (no way around this no matter how much you plan)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”