Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

What to buy as a starter set?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

What to buy as a starter set?

by BruceRatcliffe on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Thoughts of an Electronics teacher new to Arduino: I'm thinking about buying just the Uno R3, as I have all the basics (breadboards, pots, etc.) but I note there are a couple of possible items I might want to purchase, specifically, "Getting Started with Arduino (by Banzi), the Data Logging Shield, and the Proto shield. OF course more is better, BUT more expensive. Should I buy more than just the R3? If so, what?

Thanks,

Bruce Ratcliffe, Electronics instructor, Fresno
BruceRatcliffe

Re: What to buy as a starter set?

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:04 pm

The Getting Started book is very good. Lady Ada's Tutorials are also an excellent way to get started - and they are free :D

The Data Logging shield and proto shields both see a lot of use on my bench. If you have to choose just one, the Data Logger also has a decent-sized prototyping area, so it can do double duty.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: What to buy as a starter set?

by ahdavidson on Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:58 am

Bruce,

In what kind of environment will you be teaching? What are your learning goals? What kind of students, classes, labs, curriculum, etc.?

I think if you give some more context, I for one could give you some more specific advice. For instance, I have taught 2-3 hour workshops for adults and also high school classes using Arduino. They are, naturally, quite different and I would recommend different "stuff."
.andy
ahdavidson