looking for a textbook for a new class

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jerryc

looking for a textbook for a new class

Post by jerryc »

I have been teaching a microcontroller class using the Basic Stamp for several semesters, and would like to re-create the class using the Arduino system.
Can you suggest a college level text book? I have found many project books and files, but am still looking for a classroom style of textbook.

Thanks!!!

matboy16

Re: looking for a textbook for a new class

Post by matboy16 »

I took a class in in college that used the Arduino and we used a book called "Arduino Cookbook". http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596802486.do
Hope this helps

ScienceRules

Post by ScienceRules »

Matboy

Thank you for your post.

I am also looking for a book to use with my students.

A couple of quick questions.

Do you still find the book useful to you as a reference?

Was the book understandable to a beginner?

Thank you

Ed

matboy16

Post by matboy16 »

The book helped me learn a great deal and the book is also a great reference for Arduino projects. I would recommend this book for people learning the Aduino micro controller . Also, Before requiring your students to buy the book, you should read it to see if you like it. If you havent looked at it yet, there is a lot of good tutorials on the Adafruit Learning System.

Hope this helps.

ScienceRules

Post by ScienceRules »

I really like the Adafruit tutorials and I use them. Sometimes though, the tutorials skip over some important information that "everyone knows". As a high school teacher, I have learned that if you start assuming even a minimum of knowledge, you can loose your students in a dense fog.

Yesterday I found this free downloadable book: ASKManualRev5.pdf

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw_ruMO ... edit?pli=1

From what I have read, I like the explanations of code commands and how they work.

The pdf states that you are free to use and distribute the book for non-commercial uses as long as it is not modified.

Ed

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”