Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Clueless mom looking for guidance. Please.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Clueless mom looking for guidance. Please.

by DanyelW on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:00 am

I have extremely bright 11 and 8 year-old kids who love their Snap Circuits kit but have exhausted the projects and rarely stray from the instructions. I would like to get them started on something that encourages them to create using what they learn and to build real-life projects that utilize the open source ware. Both kids are interested in robotics and aerospace but I literally know nothing about electronics and don't know where to start. Any and all suggestions would hugely appreciated. Thank you.
DanyelW

Re: Clueless mom looking for guidance. Please.

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:17 am

One of the Arduino starter kits might be a good step up from the Snap Circuits. It is more open-ended and can be expanded with all kinds of sensors, displays motors etc. Most of our products have tutorials that show how to use them with the Arduino.
http://www.adafruit.com/category/17_64

The BoeBot is another Arduino-based open-ended kit: http://www.adafruit.com/products/749

adafruit_support_bill

by DanyelW on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:29 am

Thank you so much. You are fantastic, and so FAST! I think my kids will be getting one of the starter kits for Valentine's Day :D
DanyelW

by mirwin66 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:25 pm

I would suggest you purchase LEGO Mindstorms EV3 for your kids. It naturally leads into TETRIX and FTC competitions. Get the educational version from www.legoeducation.us It is available for pre-order as it has not yet been released. It will be awesome. Many different models will be coming out with apps and it is open source with a LINUX system. Check it out on the website.

Marc Irwin
coach FTC #5887
mirwin66