Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Smaller solder irons for kids?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Smaller solder irons for kids?

by hungryrob on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:31 am

Anyone know if smaller irons exist for kids (8-10yo)? If so where? If not why not? Thanks.

hungryrob

Re: Smaller solder irons for kids?

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:23 am

I don't know of any kid-specific irons. But I've taught a lot of kids in that age range how to solder and they generally don't have much problem with a standard-sized iron.

adafruit_support_bill

by hungryrob on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:22 pm

Thanks for reply, I will go ahead and try her out with my iron, I'm just worried if she burns herself it would put her off from trying again.

hungryrob

by cccookie on Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:20 pm

I don't know of any kid specific irons, but an Antex 12W or 15W iron has a handle diameter smaller than my little finger. The slightly wider "guard" part is about (only slightly more than) the diameter of a tube of lip balm. It really deserves to be called a pencil iron. Not like those jumbo hot dog size irons. I can't use those things.

Oh, you will want to "work" the power cord a bit to soften it, or the stiffness will flip the tiny iron around. They do make a soft, silicone power cord, but I've only found them on 240V european models.
cccookie