Programming on the Arduino

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
koloughlin

Programming on the Arduino

Post by koloughlin »

I teach introductory programming at the high school level and would like to spice the curriculum up a bit with some arduino boards if it would be appropriate. However, I have not had the time to play around and program on the arduino. We currently use Java or C++ and students write programs using basic loops(while, for do..while), methods(passing parameters), conditional statements (and, or not), arrays, etc...
We also introduce students to object oriented design, data processing(read, write, control breaks, merging files) cohesion, coupling and structured design using flowcharts and code examples. I'm looking for something I can come back to again and again throughout the semester to reinforce skills. Those of you with experience please comment on whether you think the programming with the arduino may be a fit for this class. The class is articulated with the local community college so the curriculum is pretty much set.
Thank you.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Programming on the Arduino

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The actual Arduino programming language is C++, although this fact is kind of an open secret. Arduinos are typically programmed using the C-language syntax subset. Students who are already familiar with the basics of C and C++ programming will have no trouble with it.

What development environment do you currently use for C++? The Arduino IDE is quite basic, and experienced programmers tend to find it quite limited for editing and maintaining multiple modules.

The reason I ask is that, if you are simply planning to use Arduino as a programming platform, it probably isn't as good as what you're already using.

On the other hand, if your goal is to expose your students to embedded programming and hardware interfacing, then you've definitely come to the right place.

Re: Programming on the Arduino

Post by 1885 »

I'm using Arduino along with Java. I have found to really make the Arduino work each student needs their own Arduino . I also am trying to develop a GUI using the RXTX so students don't have to use command line to collect output. I really like Arduino code and it's code challenges. EG: Output is RXTX.

This is standard Java code that is easy to read but difficult to implement from command line.
I am going to post a price list for an Arduino starter pack. We are thinking about checking out the Arduinos with a USB to student. Just like a book.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”