If you had one demo..

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vcbnxn

If you had one demo..

Post by vcbnxn »

In a few weeks time I've got a space at a local event where the public wander in and out. We get a lot of younger people; and many of them already have some experience playing with tech (we've been making rounds at all the schools).

I've got my own research, a 3d printer, drawdio and makey makey and some arduino stuff from our after school club. A lot of this has been seen by the local kids already..

I really want to bring one new and eye catching kit-based project that's accessible to younger ages.

Any suggestions?

jim123e

Re: If you had one demo..

Post by jim123e »

Believe it or not- a LED lit from a coin cell really causes kids to go wild. Pick up a bunch of water clear leds in dif't colors from ebay - they cost approx 1.4 cents each in lots of 100 and a bunch of cr2032 batteries from the dollar store and hand them out. Explain how the LED works and show them some applications - modern LED flashlight, backlit display in telephone, digital clock etc. You can then go into the pros and cons, the hard problems that nobody has solved such as why can't LED bulbs solve all our lighting needs. I've seen kids take the LEDs and light up their pencils, hats, plan to make a lighted keyboard etc. When they ask where they can get more send them to Radio Shack or Adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”