LadyAda question about MIT

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sbrooke

LadyAda question about MIT

Post by sbrooke »

Limor, my son is 12 and has expressed an interest in going to MIT. He's tested as high IQ and is clearly highly intelligent. Unfortunately he also shares some of my other traits such as being easily distracted by "fun" things. Mostly Minecraft. We have a number of RPi's and Arduino's around the house but it hasn't caught his interest yet. He has started some Python programming for one of his classes. He's currently in High School honors Algebra II.

We've read the MIT recommendations for how an applicant should be rounded. I'm curious if you could talk about the kinds of things you did to improve your chances of getting accepted by MIT. Aside from school, what kinds of experiences did you have to lean on in your application?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

adafruit

Re: LadyAda question about MIT

Post by adafruit »

times have changed a lot, check out the latest over at MAKE

http://makezine.com/2013/08/16/mit-welcomes-makers/
http://mitadmissions.org/apply/freshman/supplements

--------------------------------
Makers
Makers who are interested in submitting information about their projects are welcome to submit a portfolio via Slideroom for review by the MIT Engineering Advisory Board. Many different projects would fit the bill, for example: new origami designs, a chainmail suit, a potato cannon, a knitted fractal, or a computer program/app. We love creative people who enjoy making things!

The Maker Portfolio is a description of one project completed outside of school, internships, work, or extracurricular activities. We want to see how you learn, create, and problem-solve in an unstructured environment. In addition to answering questions about your project, you may upload up to four images or a video about your project. In total, all video elements must be less than 3 minutes in runtime.
--------------------------------

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”