gemma failure to upload

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cstanley

gemma failure to upload

Post by cstanley »

Have not been able to upload programs to Gemma. Have loaded the appropriate drivers. Have been careful to time uploading with flashing light. Have reloaded boot loader. Have tried many subtle variations on this to no avail.

At this point I am getting the error code below consistently.

Was hoping to have the gemma ready for a presentation I am making later in the week. Was going to put it in my hat with a neo-pixel hatband.

Any ideas on what's going on?

avrdude: error: usbtiny_receive: usb_control_msg(DeviceRequestTO): no connection to an IOService (expected 4, got -6)

avrdude: error: usbtiny_receive: usb_control_msg(DeviceRequestTO): no connection to an IOService (expected 4, got -6)

avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
0x20 != 0x00
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude: error: usbtiny_transmit: usb_control_msg(DeviceRequestTO): no connection to an IOService

adafruit_support_rick

Re: gemma failure to upload

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

That error message means that you may have a defective gemma. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement

geogriff

Post by geogriff »

Hi,
I am also getting the same error;
"avrdude: error: usbtiny_receive: usb_control_msg(DeviceRequestTO): no connection to an IOService (expected 4, got -6)" on my MacBook A1181 running OSX 10.6.5. I am using the Adafruit quick/easy install from the website. ( I get this error with both the Gemma and the Trinket)

However, I do NOT get this error when I run the same software on my MacBook Pro running OSX 10.8.5. Is there a hardware incompatibility problem with the MacBook A1181 or with OSX 10.6.5?
Thanks,
Tim

adafruit_support_rick

It's always best to try different computers with the Gemma (or Trinket). I know of no specific incompatibilities. Personally, my Gemma and Trinket won't work on my iMac (OSX 10.7.5), but work just fine on my MBP (10.9.1). I think it's just a timing thing.

nornicotine

Post by nornicotine »

Hi, I've got a Macbook Pro, 10.6.8, updated all arduino IDE components, and get exactly the same message as
cStanley on 02 Mar 2014 00:24....

Get this error repeatedly:

Is this a bad Gemma?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Is this a bad Gemma?
Have you tried it with different cables and on a different computer to rule out that as a cause?

adafruit_support_rick

Also try a different port on the same computer, and a self-powered hub, if you have one.

nornicotine

Post by nornicotine »

OK, so far, different cable on both USB ports, no joy.
Will try on another computer...

nornicotine

Post by nornicotine »

OK, tried it on a windows machine, loaded the complete IDE 1.0.5, used the right programmer, selected Gemma 8 MHz; tried both cables, multiple USB ports, Gemma green LED is on, red LED is pulsing (button pushed to activate bootloader) and the message is consistently:
"could not find USBtiny device, 0x1781/0xc9f"

Please advise. Thanks.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I can't think of anything else to try. If you followed the instructions for modifying the IDE then you can email [email protected] with a link to this thread to arrange a replacement.

nornicotine

Post by nornicotine »

Hi,
Additionally tried the windows 7 drivers; downloaded the program, not really sure if the installer ran correctly. Manually inserted driver program into Windows system32/drivers folder, still can't get the thing to be seen. So, new cables, multiple ports, multiple computers, no dice. Geez!

jgtres

Post by jgtres »

Hi, I had the same issue, but what I found was maybe a problem with the new USB 3.0 SS port (my PC only has those), after many hours fighting the GEMMA and the installation with it directly connected to my PC (Lenovo X240/Win 8.0) I decided to test the installation using my office docking replicator station and "voila" finally I noticed a different more intense red led and no hardware issues. I succeed to upload the sketch, I tested it using a Monitor (~5 years old) with an USB replicator and it worked as well, just connected directly was a NO GO. Hope this help with your troubleshooting.

nornicotine

Post by nornicotine »

My latest update is this: On the macbook pro (3,1; 10.6.8) the system profiler does see Gemma (identified as trinket). Still unable to get Blink to upload. Could not get this to work on a Windows machine either. As a last resort, used my kids macbook (10.6.8); uploaded Arduino IDE 1.0.5 and voila! Blink works.

This is good because I purchased the Gemma for my daughter anyway, but there is something very subtle and flaky going on with the IDE, WRT to various mac computers. Why the macbook works, and not the macbook pro is beyond me. I'd like to suggest that there should be a simple to use troubleshooting procedure, all located in one place, to allow users to try to figure out whats wrong, eg, it took some time of searching through the forums to find the suggestion about looking for the device on the USB device section of the system profiler.

In any case, thanks to the Adafruit staff for their ongoing help and support.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”