weight sensor in shoe

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
aneff

weight sensor in shoe

Post by aneff »

Hey everyone, I am part of a design project team at Carnegie Mellon University. We are trying to put a sensor in an insole that will detect when someone is stepping on it. So can track steps, can sense when someone is sitting vs standing vs not in the shoe at all. I was looking through the Square Force-Sensitive resistors but didn’t know if that was exactly what I want. I am not trying to measure the person’s exact weight right now because weight is distributed over the entire foot print, however, if anyone also knows of another product that might give total body weight I might be interested in that information in addition to the FSR info. Thanks everyone!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: weight sensor in shoe

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The problem with measuring pressure under the foot is that the total force is unevenly distributed and constantly changing. For what you are trying to do, one or more FSRs would be a reasonable choice. We also have velostat as used in this project: https://learn.adafruit.com/firewalker-l ... s/overview But the velostat is going to give you even less precision that what you will get from the FSR.

One caution with the FSRs: The connectors are the weak-point mechanically. If installing in shoes, try to do so in a way that will minimize the potential for stress on the connectors.

Jeroma

Re: weight sensor in shoe

Post by Jeroma »

Than you for this advice :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”