Using Maxbotix rangefinder

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dgeers

Using Maxbotix rangefinder

Post by dgeers »

Dear folks,

Hi. I'm an educator, but this question is for a project of my own, not for my class. Let me know if I ought to post elsewhere, and if so my apologies...

I'm planning a project that will be include some elements similar to the Pumpkin project (https://learn.adafruit.com/halloween-pumpkin).

This might be a silly question, but... this is how I learn, I guess. I tried to find an answer elsewhere but did not see it.

So here it is: If I put my ultrasonic rangefinder (Maxbotix Ultrasonic Rangefinder - LV-EZ1) partially behind an object, will it merely sense that object and then give me no other good data? The situation is that I want to put one in the body of a 1940s radio where the speaker ought to be. This radio has a "grille" of horizontal wood slats about 3-4mm in width, spaced about the same distance apart. Behind this is cloth.

I'd love to totally hide the rangefinder behind the grille and cloth and not have to hack the body of this beautiful wooden radio. However of course I need my range data. I assume that it isn't possible to put it there but thought I'd ask just in case. I thought that maybe since the wavelength is so small that it might work if I remove the cloth from a portion of the grille, but don't want to hack it unless really necessary.

Any other advice on if/whether the rangefinder could be hidden visually would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Doug

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Using Maxbotix rangefinder

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you press it right up against the grille (try to center it on one of the slots) it will probably work OK.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”