USB Microscope and BANNED

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
nojunktotom

USB Microscope and BANNED

Post by nojunktotom »

On your website you state that the software included with the USB Microscope - 5MP interpolated 220x magnification / 8 LEDs will not work with BANNED. No problem! It sort of works, I can see the image but I am not able to take pictures or video. However you do state that miXscope is a great alternative. I have downloaded the version to which you have provided a link. However I am unable to make the software work on my iMac 10.9.3. I do not know which camera type to choose. I have chosen all of them and none of them seem to work. What do you suggest?
Thanks , Tom
Attachments
These are the camera options with which I am presented.
These are the camera options with which I am presented.
Screen Shot 2014.png (37.13 KiB) Viewed 774 times

adafruit_support_rick

Re: USB Microscope and BANNED

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Hmmm...I haven't tried miXscope since I upgraded to BANNED. Don't have a microscope with me now, so I can't test it.

However, as I recall, the correct selection is QuickTime.

You may want to contact the author of miXscope to see if he has any ideas about BANNED

nojunktotom

Post by nojunktotom »

Hello,

Please note the attached screen shot from the 'adafruit' website (https://www.adafruit.com/products/636) where it clearly suggests using the miXscope software since adafruit's included software does not function with BANNED.

I do not appreciate the dismissive and condescending tone of the reply I received from adafruit’ s support team member – rick.

I understand that normally if I choose to use another company’s software with your product you are under no obligation to provide any assistance what so ever. However, in this case adafruit clearly ‘suggests’ the software in question so I believe you do have a moral obligation to assist politely and if need be apologetically (if your recommendation no longer works).

So once again are you aware whether or not it works? What settings should I use and if things have changed since you placed the information on your website please update your information. Do you have any other suggestions?

And finally please offer an apology for not taking my questions seriously and offering to investigate on my behalf and to clear up any misunderstanding your website may have caused.

Thank-You for your attention to this matter,
Tom
Attachments
screen shot with miXscope recommendation.png
screen shot with miXscope recommendation.png (28.86 KiB) Viewed 747 times

adafruit_support_rick

I'm sorry you got the wrong impression from my post. I did indeed take your question seriously. However, I am currently on the road and won't have access to a microscope until next week, so as a time-saver, I suggested contacting the mixScope author to see if he knew of any BANNED problems.

I am the Mac user among the support people, so this question naturally falls to me. However, I will check with the another support person to see if he has the ability to check this out.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you can see a dialog that asks you to select a video source, the miXscope application must be running on your machine. That means the issue doesn't involve the software per se, but the program's ability to make a connection to the microscope.

The microscope supports TWAIN, so OS X should see it as a QuickTime device.

It's possible that you're seeing a hardware issue rather than a software issue. Launch the System Information application and check under the USB tab to see if the Mac recognizes the microscope at the basic interface layer.

nojunktotom

Post by nojunktotom »

Hi Rick,

Thanks for clearing things up. Sorry, for my reaction.

I'm in no big hurry so when ever you get back and test things that is fine with me.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Tom

adafruit_support_rick

OK - tried it out on my MBP, OSX 10.9.3.
mixScope 3.3.1 works. Use QuickTime mode.

nojunktotom

Post by nojunktotom »

Thank you very much! I appreciate you time. I think my problem was another software I have called iGlasses. It allows you to choose the webcam you would like and add other effects like black and white, sepia or distortions. I had to select the camera there in order for it to show up.

Thanks again.

I did notice that sometimes there are colour shifts in the image on screen. Did you notice this or might it also be due to the iGlasses interference...

Tom

adafruit_support_rick

Aha! Cool. Glad it works for you!
nojunktotom wrote:I did notice that sometimes there are colour shifts in the image on screen. Did you notice this or might it also be due to the iGlasses interference...
Nope - I haven't noticed that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”