Gemma

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ashleyhaw

Gemma

Post by ashleyhaw »

Hi! I'm trying to use the Gemma for the first time and I cannot upload code to it. This is the link to the code I'm copying for the owl chirp from the Adafruit page: https://learn.adafruit.com/chirping-plu ... other-code

The code is fine, but I'm having problems with the device. This is the message I'm getting when I upload the code: Binary sketch size: 1,132 bytes (of a 5,310 byte maximum)
avrdude: usbdev_open(): did not find any USB device "usb"

I have the USB connected and I have the Gemma device selected. I also have tried different COM ports and I have switched back to make sure the Arduino Uno is working, which it is. Please advise.
Thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Gemma

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Are you pressing the reset button on the Gemma just before the upload begins?
Is the LED pulsing?
Have you tried a different USB cable?

What kind of computer are you using?

If Windows, did you install the USBtinyISP driver?
Does the Gemma show up in Device Manager?

If Mac, does the Gemma show up under USB devices in System Report?

ashleyhaw

Post by ashleyhaw »

I have tried 2 USB cables; one is new and I just ordered it from you all.
I pressed the reset. The PWR button is green and the red light comes on when I first push the reset, but that's it. It's not pulsing.
I have a Lenovo with Windows 7. I'm fairly certain that I installed the USBISPtinydriver successfully. I'm wondering why I'm getting a message about the USB. It's my first time using Gemma and I set up the circuit according to the owl guts pack. Do you think something is wrong with my circuit? Would that prompt the message about the USB? Thanks!

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

If you have an Arduino Uno you could try this and see if it works. I would disconnect the gemma from the circuit and see if that helps but I would disconnect it if you try to repair the bootloader anyway. If none of this helps please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement

adafruit_support_rick

Sounds like the bootloader isn't running. As franklin97355 says, you can try to repair the bootloader, or you can contact [email protected] for a replacement.

The repair instructions are here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... bootloader

ashleyc

Post by ashleyc »

I tried this three times with different Gemmas and I still get the same message. Any suggestions? I'm still hoping to do this project with my students this year, but neither the IT person at our school nor I can figure out the solution. Thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

Can you look for the Gemma in Device Manager? It should appear under "LibUSB - Win32 Devices". If it doesn't appear there, try installing the driver again.

ashleyc

Post by ashleyc »

I see "USBtiny" there, not "Gemma".

ashleyc

Post by ashleyc »

I reinstalled the software and I'm getting the same error message, Binary sketch size: 1,132 bytes (of a 5,310 byte maximum)
avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

I'm really frustrated. I have invested a great deal of time into this project with no success. I really want to do this project with my students, but I don't know what's going wrong. Has anyone else had success using the Gemma with the project?

Thanks.

adafruit_support_rick

ashleyc wrote:I see "USBtiny" there, not "Gemma".
Yes - that's how it appears to Windows.
ashleyc wrote: avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)
Are you sure the bootloader is running? The red LED should pulse to 10 seconds after you press the reset button. This indicates that the bootloader is running. The upload must begin while the bootloader is running.

Also, have you tried some different USB cables and USB ports?

ashleyc

Post by ashleyc »

I have installed the latest USPtiny driver and I am still not getting a pulsing red light on the Gemma. The red light comes on for about 5 sec, stays steady, then turns off. Please advise.

adafruit_support_rick

The bootloader on the Gemma may be corrupted. If you have a Uno, you can repair the bootloader:
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... bootloader

ashleyhaw

Post by ashleyhaw »

Hi! I tried to repair the bootloader as advised, and this is the error message I receive:
code.cpp:1:24: error: optiLoader.h: No such file or directory
code.cpp:10: error: expected initializer before '*' token
code.cpp:11: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type
code.cpp:19: error: 'uint16_t' does not name a type
code.cpp:46: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before '*' token

ashleyhaw

Post by ashleyhaw »

Hi! I tried to repair the bootloader as advised, and this is the error message I receive:

code.cpp:1:24: error: optiLoader.h: No such file or directory
code.cpp:10: error: expected initializer before '*' token
code.cpp:11: error: 'uint8_t' does not name a type
code.cpp:19: error: 'uint16_t' does not name a type
code.cpp:46: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before '*' token

ashleyhaw

Post by ashleyhaw »

Also, I don't know what this means. What is the serial console at 9600? I cannot figure this out. I have been trying to get the Gemma to work for almost a year now and I would love to use this with my students, but neither I, nor my colleagues can figure it out. I'm trying to do the own sewable activity with the Gemma, but I can't get it to work (see messages above from ashleyc and ashleyhaw, both are from me), so I'm trying to repair the bootloader. Thanks for any advice.

Open up the serial console at 9600 baud and when it tells you do, press the miniature button on the Trinket (or Gemma) or type in G into the serial console and click Send

You should see the following, the fuses, firmware burned and verified! It will take 2 seconds
trinketload.png

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”