new to programming, looking for advise

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ih3grrrl

new to programming, looking for advise

Post by ih3grrrl »

My school recently sent me to the NYC Maker Faire to see what the what is. I walked away super excited to jump into some simple courses. I have an electrical and electronic background but I haven't done much programming. I would like to spin an intro course for microprocessors. With this in mind I purchased an arduino uno, a ras pi, and two of the flora to play with. Now the questions.
I understand that the pi is programmed with the language python. The flora seems to use the same software as arduino. Do they use the same programming language or is there some translation when you pick the devise in the sketch?
Is buying these products and playing with them a good place to start or is there some basic, very basic, programming knowledge that I should get on board with before trying to take all of this on? I have been given the green light to develop a microprocessor course and a 3d printing course. Lots to learn! I'm excited about all of the information on this site. You folks work hard.

Franklin97355

Re: new to programming, looking for advise

Post by Franklin97355 »

I understand that the pi is programmed with the language python
One of the many programming languages used on the pi is Python but there are many more. c, c++, perl, bash (sh), basic and others are all used with Linux.
The flora seems to use the same software as arduino. Do they use the same programming language or is there some translation when you pick the devise in the sketch?
They use the same language (Arduino version of c++) but they have different capabilities that need to be taken into account when programming. For a basic course I would recommend the Arduino Uno as there are more of them than other versions and a lot of the example code is written for them so following a tutorial will be easier. When you get the Uno get a breadboard and jumper wires to make building temporary circuits easier for the students.

ih3grrrl

Re: new to programming, looking for advise

Post by ih3grrrl »

Thanks! I'll start with the Uno and see where I end up.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”