Experimenting with Arduino Connectivity for Classroom Games

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
inceptionlabs

Experimenting with Arduino Connectivity for Classroom Games

Post by inceptionlabs »

I'm just getting into the Arduino/Micro controller world, and had a question that I'm sure is quite elementary. Essentially, I am trying to build a classroom board game that is learner aware. Each student will receive a game piece (3D printed avatar) that communicates its presence to a small receiver. There will be multiple "receivers" throughout the class, all of which need to connect wirelessly to a central hub that can identify students and assign challenges to them individually.

The sketch would be set to read the piece, show an LED that confirms the presence of the piece, send a line of code to the hub to validate the piece, and then change the color of the LED when the player is authenticated.

I was thinking that RF would be a good way to connect the game pieces to the receivers, but I would still need a way to connect those receivers to the central hub. (I'm assuming wi-fi?)

I'm a bit confused about how to integrate Arduino with RF-- do I need that massive card reader thing, or are there smaller receiver solutions? I'd love to fit this all into a small, custom 3D printed enclosure. Again, I'm new to this, but I'm very hungry to learn. Any help would be very appreciated! Thanks!!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Experimenting with Arduino Connectivity for Classroom Ga

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The RFID tags can be pretty small, but the RFID reader is about the size of an Arduino Mega,

For wireless, you could use one of our CC3000 modules, or XBee radios.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”