simple LED wearable projects with no soldering

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
iferpo

simple LED wearable projects with no soldering

Post by iferpo »

Hello,

I've looked through some of your wonderful tutorials but have been unable to find an LED project with no soldering for a wearable project.

Do you all have any suggestions for projects and supplies with no soldering that would incorporate any of your LED's, a battery and conductive thread for simple wearable projects?

Thank you,
Jen

Franklin97355

Re: simple LED wearable projects with no soldering

Post by Franklin97355 »

A lot of the Flora and Gemma projects are done with conductive thread which is not soldered. Here is one and there are more in the learning section https://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=flora

iferpo

Post by iferpo »

Thank you for your answer. Would you also be able to offer projects with no soldering and no programming that is just about setting up an electrical circuit? Something really basic that then could be built upon to move the students to the project you offered as a second tier.

Thank you again.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

MrSunflower

Post by MrSunflower »

@ franklin97355 - None of those three are wearable. Those are relatively pricey kids.

@ iferpo -

(assuming you're thinking about class projects)

Last quarter, I ran a class called Electric Art, doing exactly what you're talking about. We started very small. The first project (which took some kids a whole quarter of Fridays) was simply to create a wristband with two light-up LED's. It's (almost) the simplest possible circuit, requires no soldering, but allows for a fair bit of creative freedom. Some kids just attached LED's, others added felt shapes of various kinds, and used the LED's as accents for those shapes (e.g. glowing eyes, or a bullet coming out of a gun). It's basically a variation on the light-up dog collar project described by SparkFun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioHek9cvN6U

I would warn you that sewing turned out to be a tough skill for the kids in my class (ages 10-12). Sewing is safer and easierthan soldering, but your students may benefit from a sewing primer before you set them to work on an actual project.

If you're still thinking about this, and you'd like to talk, feel free to shoot me an email: [email protected].

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”