8X8 led matrix question

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
neecet

8X8 led matrix question

Post by neecet »

I was plannning on putting on a workshop to do this project https://learn.adafruit.com/trinket-slas ... er-pendant. I created a prototype that worked fine. All was good to go so I ordered 13 sets of supplies. When I went to make a few more examples for practice I ran into the issue of the animation working but it looks like some LEDs in the matrix are not receiving the signal to turn off and on. About 4 are staying on or just staying dim. I am trying to narrow down the problem. First of all I am not the best at soldering especially in the small area needed to attach the backpack to the led. I also used single strand wire of the project that worked vs multistrand wire on the project that did not work. Do you think it is more likely to be a soldering problem or the use of multistrand wire? The back pack is the HT16K33 Backpack and the LED Matrix is LuckyLight R1410027. Thanks for your help.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: 8X8 led matrix question

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Stranded wire should work, but it can be more difficult to solder well. If you post some photos showing your soldering on the project, we'll see if we can spot any problems.

neecet

Re: 8X8 led matrix question

Post by neecet »

Thanks for looking into it. I really stink at soldering in small spaces so I feel I have a bad solder joint. I plan to resolder and see what happens. When I hooked up another led matrix and back pack it worked so I think I have narrowed it down to a bad soldering job.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”