Benchmarking the hardware

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Saru047

Benchmarking the hardware

Post by Saru047 »

Hi, I recently followed one of the post which is related to comparison of different embedded platforms (https://learn.adafruit.com/embedded-lin ... n/overview) written by Tony Dicola. Its a very interesting and useful post. So, I am planning to do benchmark for embedded hardwares (Example BANNED Gen1, Gen2) but I'm facing so many errors while installing nbench tool which is used in your experimentation according to that post. Could you guys help me that.? or Is there any better tools which I can use.? Sorry if I had placed the question in wrong place.

tdicola

Re: Benchmarking the hardware

Post by tdicola »

Thanks for checking out the guide! Let me know what error you're hitting and I might be able to give more help. In general though for nbench I installed it by downloading the source code .tar.gz file from here: http://www.tux.org/~mayer/linux/bmark.html. Then open the archive and run the makefile to make it compile. Luckily it has very few dependencies so you don't need to worry about installing other stuff.

Here's a quick list of commands to run to build it:

Code: Select all

wget http://www.tux.org/~mayer/linux/nbench-byte-2.2.3.tar.gz
tar xvfz nbench-byte-2.2.3.tar.gz
cd nbench-byte-2.2.3
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y install build-essential
make
That should be all you need to do to compile the code. Then inside the directory run it by executing:

Code: Select all

./nbench
Let me know if you run into any issues, thanks!

Saru047

Post by Saru047 »

Sorry, I was in a remote place with no internet access so I couldn't reply. This weekend I'm gonna test with what you suggested and get back to you. Thank you for your support.

Saru047

Post by Saru047 »

Hello Tony Dicola,

I'm trying to compile the nbench code as you said.
1) On Raspberry pi, it is just working fine and results are also similar (gcc version is 4.6.3).
2) On BANNED,
I have two images, one is Debian and another one is yocto based Poky (Intel provided image)
I'm getting error in both the images.

When I boot debian image, I'm getting following error while compiling the nbench.
Error when Debian image is booted
Error when Debian image is booted
debianbased.jpg (146.76 KiB) Viewed 731 times
When I boot yocto based Poky image, I'm getting the following error while compiling nbench
Error when Poky os is booted
Error when Poky os is booted
pokybased.jpg (78.64 KiB) Viewed 731 times
Note: In both the cases, I haven't modified the makefile.
Please help me with this and thanks for your support.

Saru047

Post by Saru047 »

Hello Tony Dicola,

Complilation issue of nbench, in both the operating systems (Debian as well as Poky) has been solved.
In Debian image, gcc version is 4.6.3. I modified the makefile and changed CFLAGS variable. Interesting fact is, it supports static linking of libraries but did not support O3 compiler optimization (Not even O2 and O1) so I changed it O0 (Do't optimize and). Then compilation is successful.

In Poky image, gcc version is 4.8.2. It did not support static linking of libraries and it supports O3 optimization. So I removed static option in Makefile, Then compilation is successful.

Now nbench is running successfully in both the images.
Thanks for your support.
I hope this helps others also.

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Oh interesting, thanks for the followup to share what worked for you. Yeah when I compiled and ran it I was using GCC 4.7, so that might be why I didn't see similar errors. Thanks again and good luck!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”