Trinket on Windows 7

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: Trinket on Windows 7

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I have tried 3 different ones (v1.1?).
Do all 3 work on the 1 machine where you successfully loaded the driver?

nijon24

Post by nijon24 »

I've tried again now on the machine I successfully loaded the driver on.

This is what happend the first time I plugged it in:
The computer found the Trinket. I installed the driver by updating it. After the installation the trinket shws up as "libusb-win32 devices" - "USBTiny". Now, when a press the reset button it sometimes work (the bootloader is activated), but mostly the driver disapears from the Device list and it shows up as a "unknown device" under "USB controllers". The red led do not flash.

nijon24

Post by nijon24 »

This is very strange... when I unplugg the USB-mouse the Trinket works!

adafruit_support_bill

That is strange. I have seen unusual interactions between USB devices before, but never involving a mouse.

helikestoskate

Post by helikestoskate »

This string of post mirrors my problem and the actions I took to try to get two recently purched trinkets connected. Purchased two trinkets and three six inch USB cables. Tried connecting on 6 computers
and through old powered USB hub in case the USB 2.0 issue was part of problem. Tried 2 with 64 bit window 7 (One pro, one Home edition), One with 64 bit windows 10, 2 with XP (one XP machine with USB 1.0). I followed all instructions over and over and over and over.... Never beyond "unknown usb device" on any machine. Spent way too much time. Over four days trying every possible permutation and searched the web found many people with same problem but no solutions that worked for me. Nothing but the green light. Your drivers wont install, or update. So unless you have some magic one more thing. Please tell me how to have these replaced with cords and devices that have been tested on a windows 7 or 10 64 bit machines with USB 2.0.
Sadly I have spent 15 hrs. Trying to get these to work much to the annoyance of my wife and at the expense of a holiday weekend. It is important that I get these or a reasonable alternative in a similarly sized package to work. The "Nerd Class" of or corporate Pine wood derby depends on it.

adafruit_support_bill

We don't have any Windows 10 machines here, but we run Trinkets with Win7 and 8 on a regular basis. What errors do you see when you try to update the driver in Device Manager?

helikestoskate

Post by helikestoskate »

Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date.

adafruit_support_bill

Under "Driver Details" what driver does it say is installed?

helikestoskate

Post by helikestoskate »

It says no driver is installed.
Somehow no driver is up to date?

adafruit_support_bill

Click on the "Details" tab and select the "Hardware Ids" property. What are the values shown?

helikestoskate

Post by helikestoskate »

USB\UNKNOWN

adafruit_support_bill

And what happens in Device Manager if you press the reset button in the Trinket?

helikestoskate

Post by helikestoskate »

Nothing.
I stared at the screen intently hoping something, anything would happen. I uninstalled many times and pushed it and stared. I pushed it before attempting to update the driver. I pushed it immediately after plugging it in. I pushed it after stopping to make a sandwich. Nothing. I have read that a red light should blink at some point. No red light ever. No change in device manager except when I uninstall it goes away until I plug it back in again. Because like a crazy person I hope that the same action might give me a different result.

adafruit_support_bill

Please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread for replacements.

daveawalker

Post by daveawalker »

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (22.38 KiB) Viewed 511 times
I have a trinket on win 8.1, the drivers do not load as per image , tried uninstall and re insert same thing..
Pity I wanted to use this to power addressable rgb leds .. will probably resort to a Pi instead

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”