audio amp to drive induction loop

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
johngale

audio amp to drive induction loop

Post by johngale »

Induction loop audio systems (for T-coils in hearing aids and cochlear implants) use a current-mode audio amp to drive a loop of wire. The T-coil in the hearing aid or cochlear implant receives the audio-frequency baseband modulated magnetic field. The loop can be coffee-shop-table size or opera-house-size. Whatever the size, the special amps that drive the wire loops are expensive.

I'm wondering if something like the Class-D https://www.adafruit.com/product/1712 could drive a lab-table-size wire loop (about 16' of wire looping around the table), to help students with cochlear implants hear the teacher or instructional video better. Is there a way to run it in current-mode, or (since it is a switching amp) does it not even matter?

adafruit2

Re: audio amp to drive induction loop

Post by adafruit2 »

wow. i have absolutely no idea. i know it needs an inductive load to filter out the PWM (check the DS for the uH required) so i think just a wire wouldn't work? but if it does let us know :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”