Pro Trinket Power Meter for Solar Project

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zackboston

Re: Pro Trinket Power Meter for Solar Project

Post by zackboston »

yes, i let go of the reset button, then hit upload very quickly afterwards.

however my pulsing red light never stops. see the comment a couple of replies back.

did you see the printout of what happens in errors when I load the blink sketch above?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

yes its not clear what is going on. we can replace it and see if that helps

zackboston

Post by zackboston »

i did an overnight order last night just in case we could not diagnose it. if it is the trinket, i will send the one we have back.

yes, i am at my wit's end.

is the red light supposed to be pulsing at all times except when you depress the reset button?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

yes that means the bootloader is waiting for you to upload a program

zackboston

Post by zackboston »

OK. I received my new overnighted Adafruit Pro Trinket. I did not solder or do anything to it.
I pressed the reset button, let go, then quickly tried to compile the blink sketch on a Mac.

I got the error:

avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

I found a PC laptop with version 1.6.5 installed with drivers, etc. It loads a blink sketch on an uno just fine. we've been using it to teach arduino coding all year.

I went to the board manager and put the url in to install the pro trinket board
I closed and reopened the arduino 1.6.5
I chose the board Protrinket 12MHz 3V which is the one I bought.
I then went into Programmer and chose USBTinyUSP
I pressed the reset button on the Pro Trinket Board
I quickly compiled the Blink Sketch and got the following error:

avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

So now I know it is not the Micro USB connector --- I've tried two of those
I know it is not PC or Mac because they give me the same error.
I know it is not the Pro Trinket because I've tried two now.

HELP! I have no idea what to try next. . .

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Try starting the compile before you press the reset button so the download starts within 5 seconds of the button press and see if that changes anything.

zackboston

Post by zackboston »

No, I get the same error message.

I did it and one of my college mentors did it too.

zackboston

Post by zackboston »

Please help me think of another solution. I have been troubleshooting this for three days. The Learn 2 Teach, Teach 2 Learn Project Expo is on Saturday and everything else in their Solar Power Charger works.

While I was waiting for your reply, I transferred the project to a redboard UNO from sparkfun (we use those because they work better for our education program). While it compiles to the UNO, the program itself is not working with the LCD and current sensor --- I have them hooked up to a 1.5 V battery (I probably need to adjust the code down to 16V rather than 64!).

I really need to get this thing working tomorrow!

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I'll see if any of the other techs have an idea.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

zackboston wrote:Please help me think of another solution. I have been troubleshooting this for three days. The Learn 2 Teach, Teach 2 Learn Project Expo is on Saturday and everything else in their Solar Power Charger works.

While I was waiting for your reply, I transferred the project to a redboard UNO from sparkfun (we use those because they work better for our education program). While it compiles to the UNO, the program itself is not working with the LCD and current sensor --- I have them hooked up to a 1.5 V battery (I probably need to adjust the code down to 16V rather than 64!).

I really need to get this thing working tomorrow!
i really just recommend going with the UNO if you need it working tomorrow, because at least then you have a way to upload code. its something with your upload process or computer but we can't tell what it is - we have tens of thousands of trinkets/pro trinkets out there...they do work!

zackboston

Post by zackboston »

Well I have tried these pro trinkets on 5 different computers, a mac laptop and two macs, and two different pc laptops.

I've used regular trinkets successfully lots of times before on youth projects and know the whole procedure very very well. I'm pretty good at trouble shooting (got an EE degree from way back when). So I am not sure what the issue is with the pro trinket. I had a regular trinket hanging about so I tried putting the blink sketch on it and it works fine on two of the computers.

OK. Do I need to do anything to the code to get it to work with the UNO? I got it to compile, but nothing happened in the circuit. I've never built this thing and was trying to test it with a 1.5 volt battery just to see if it worked. I know the circuit is right. I did continuity checks on the youth's soldering jobs and they strictly adhered to the 2 second rule with soldering. Just want to make sure that the code transfers seamlessly to UNO as long as I change the settings to UNO and the right port on the IDE.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

The Pro Trinket and the Uno use the same chip so there should be no problem there. You will need to make adjustments for the pins you use and the difference in the voltage if you are doing any referencing from that.

zackboston

Post by zackboston »

OK I am back to trying to get one of the two pro trinkets that I got to work so I can finish this project!

I started from the beginning and think I did everything right. . . you can check out the post above. But I am still getting the error message. I've walked through it with 3 other people now, to make sure I am doing each step right. But we get the same error every time with both.

I have tried it with two pro trinkets now, so I think the problem must be with me and my procedure. I am pretty good at setting up adafruit stuff (we've made a half dozen pretty complex projects with various adafruit processors). So I am mystified.

What do you suggest next to move me forward a step. . . ?

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Go into Device Manager on the PC and see if the Pro Trinket shows up under "Win32-LibUSB Devices"

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”