FLORA Pins

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jawa13

FLORA Pins

Post by jawa13 »

My students are using Flora for various projects.
1) One of the team uses pins 6, 9 and 10 for PWM. They are also using SCL and SDA for a sensor. They need additional PWM pins. Pins 5 and 11 from Arduino are not there in Flora. Any advice?

2) Analog pins A through A5 are not available. Do they have to use one of the D6/D9/D10/D12 for analog pins? Where are these A7/A9/A10/A11 analogous pins in Arduino and how to use them?

thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Re: FLORA Pins

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Since the Flora uses a 32U4 processor like the Leonardo, the pin assignments are a subset of the Leonardo board.
PWM is available on pins 3(SCL), 6, 9, 10. These are noted with "(PWM)" on the pinout diagram.
Digital pins 6 (A7), 9(A9), 10(A10), and 12(A11) can also be used for analog. These are noted in red on the diagram. Just connect to them as you would an analog pin and address them with the alternate Analog pin number.
The SPI pins are available from the 2x6 pin ICSP header to the right of the processor in the diagram.

jawa13

Post by jawa13 »

Hi
Thanks for the clarification.

One more question. We are using two pins to control two neopixel rings. When I run a new (different) program using just one ring, LEDS from the previous program from the second ring are still on. Resetting does not make any difference. We are also using strip.show to initialize but does not help with the previous LED. The only option we found is to physically disconnect the power to that ring. Any help? thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Since your single ring program doesn't send any control signals to the second ring, it will retain the previous state as long as it is powered. A reset on the processor does not cause a reset of the pixels. If you want to 'blank' it programmatically, you would need to add the second ring to your program and do a colorWipe with all black pixels.

jawa13

Post by jawa13 »

Hi

Thank you for quick response to all my questions. Many f my students are using magnetic wire instead of conductive thread. They are thin and can be soldered. In many places wires overlap but no issues. I haven't seen you recommending or using magnetic wires in your tutorials. Any concerns? Any input? Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Magnet wire has a thin layer of insulation, so crossing wires is usually not an issue. Some types of magnet wire use an insulation that burns off at soldering temperatures so no stripping is necessary.

The one problem you may have with the magnet wire is premature breakage. Since it is a solid core wire, it will tend to get brittle with repeated flexing. The highest stress point is generally right at the solder joint. You can minimize the breakage with some tape or hot-glue to spread the bending stresses out over the first inch of wire.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”