Need Some Advice

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ugadawg90

Need Some Advice

Post by ugadawg90 »

I am speaking with some students at the Mountain Education Charter (MEC) High School, http://www.mymec.org/, in Blairsville, GA about technology related jobs on November 12th. MEC is a night school for students who do not perform well in a traditional high school setting. We are hoping we can spark their interest in coding, electronics, etc.

I would like to purchase a complete kit for Arduino, Raspberry PI and Makey Makey, but there are a ton of options. I would need the necessary keyboards, adapters, displays, boards, etc. I do know that I want Raspberry PI 2 Model B board. I am hoping that by showing them some “cool” stuff they will get more excited about learning and the possibilities that technology can provide. I am hoping someone out there can give me some advice. My plan is to leave the kit(s) for the students to play with, get excited about and potentially present their creations.

Thanks in advance!

Franklin97355

Re: Need Some Advice

Post by Franklin97355 »

If these kids are new to the technology field I would stick with the Arduino uno rather than the Pi. The Uno is an easy to program device that will give them feedback from lights and displays without having to understand any underlying operating system like the Pi. Also ou can plug it into a standard computer without the need for extra keyboards and monitors.

ugadawg90

Re: Need Some Advice

Post by ugadawg90 »

Thank you! We have decided to start a pilot project in K-12. For the 7-12 students we are going to purchase some Arduino Uno Starter Kits and Raspberry PI Starter Kits. Any advice K-6? We are thinking code.org, but would really like some thoughts on maker stuff. I purchased a Makey Makey board, but I am concerned the kids would get bored with that pretty quick.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”