Adafruit Trinket and Chromebook

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
TBEndeavor

Adafruit Trinket and Chromebook

Post by TBEndeavor »

Hello,

I'm a middle-school computer teacher and I'm pretty new to the world of making, but I'd like to do a few projects with my students using Adafruit Trinket. I've worked with Arduino before, but the cost-effectiveness of the Trinket makes it by far the best choice for my school. My only concern is that we only have Google Chromebooks at school - is there anything that enables programming on a Chromebook with the Adafruit Trinket? I know there are plugins like this available for Arduino, does anyone know if they are also compatible with Trinket?
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... l?hl=en-US

Sorry for the n00b questions - Thanks for your help!

tdicola

Re: Adafruit Trinket and Chromebook

Post by tdicola »

Ah great question. I've used ChromeOS a bit and yeah unfortunately you're somewhat limited in its app selection. Normally the Arduino IDE needs Java to run and that's not going to work on a stock ChromeOS machine. Chromeduino I think reimplements Arduino's toolchain but using ChromeOS compatible functionality. I haven't tried Chromeduino though so I don't know if it will work.

One thing you might try though is Codebender, it's an online IDE for editing Arduino sketches and can even upload to Arduinos using a Chrome plugin (that I think but am not totally sure works with ChromeOS). They claim you can program Trinket here though: http://blog.codebender.cc/2015/09/04/tu ... ket-board/ I do worry they mention "Update: Chrome support for Gemma/Trinket changed in November 2015, so if it doesn’t work, try Firefox" which could be a problem on ChromeOS since you don't have the option of using Firefox as far as I know. You might try it but I can't say for sure it will work.

Another option is to install Linux on ChromeOS using something like crouton: https://github.com/dnschneid/crouton I have used this tool and it works really well to give you a 'real' Linux desktop that you can install Java, the official Arduino IDE, etc. inside. I have a feeling this is going to be a lot more complicated than you want to do in a classroom though. Just mentioning it as another option. Good luck!

tzikis

Re: Adafruit Trinket and Chromebook

Post by tzikis »

Hey guys, just pitching in to confirm that codebender will work on ChromeOS, even Trinket/Gemma

It was unsupported for a while when Chrome changed their underlying technology for plugins, hence the warning notice, but you should be all set to use it on a Chromebook/ChromeOS device now

Cheers

P.S. I'm the founder of codebender ;)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”