LED strip

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Jesmond

LED strip

Post by Jesmond »

led strip.jpg
led strip.jpg (268.49 KiB) Viewed 474 times
I'm not getting any life from my LED strip, I have set it up with the same fadecandy and power supply as an 8x8 LED matrix and that worked fine. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I have uploaded a picture of the wiring. There is data and ground going to the fadecandy, 5v going to the LEDs and 5V going to the data control (I think( and ground going to the power supply. The fadecandy is identified and the connections have all been tested and are fine with voltage running at 5.2v. Any advice welcome.

Jesmond

Re: LED strip

Post by Jesmond »

adafruit please can you let me know whether or not this strip is wired correctly. I have a student presentation in a weeks time and they are hoping to use the finished product. Thank you

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What type of LED strip is it? Please post a close-up photo showing the top of the strip where the wires connect.

Jesmond

Post by Jesmond »

It's a 60 LED neopixel RGB strip. I'll post the picture tomorrow as I'm not on site today, thanks

adafruit_support_bill

It's a 60 LED neopixel RGB strip.
Are you sure? It looks like there are 4 wires coming out of it. Neopixels only have 3 wires.

rdflynn

Post by rdflynn »

Hi,

My name is Ryan and I am Jesmond's colleague and working on this project with her.

As requested, please find a photo of the LED strip wiring. There is 2 wires - red and yellow(a) - which provide power, with yellow(a) being GND and red being +5V. Then there is a control harness with three wires - blue, green and yellow(b); blue is wired with red into +5V on the LED boards, green is data and yellow(b) is again wired into GND alongside yellow(a).

Thanks for any assistance on this - we've been tearing our hair out!

Thanks
Ryan
Attachments
IMG_0516.jpg
IMG_0516.jpg (888.81 KiB) Viewed 347 times

Jesmond

Post by Jesmond »

It's very possible its not neopixel, as an organisation we have to order through a third party so they may have got us 'the cheapest quote' there was no clue on the packaging

adafruit_support_bill

Those look like they may be WS2812B chips like the ones used on the Neopixels. The wiring harness looks a bit different, but the connections look correct.

I don't see any capacitor on the power supply as recommended in the "Best Practices" section of the tutorial. This helps protect against damage from power supply spikes.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neo ... e/overview

Often when a strip is damaged, it only affects the first pixel or two. You can test this: Leave the GND and +5 connections as they are. Connect a jumper wire to the signal connection from the FadeCandy, and touch it to the copper DIN pad for the second or third pixel. If it is a damaged first pixel, the rest of the strip may still be functional.

Jesmond

Post by Jesmond »

Thank you for your advice. We were using the LED curtain tutorial that doesn't mention capacitors however I have since seen your excellent uber guide and have ordered capacitors, we have stopped working on them until the capacitors arrive!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”