COMPONENTS FOR LED/RF PROJECT

This is a special forum devoted to educators using Adafruit and Arduino products for teaching.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JIIE

COMPONENTS FOR LED/RF PROJECT

Post by JIIE »

Hi there

We need some advice.

My students wants to build a "miniature lighthouse" (batterypowered) that can be controlled from smartphone or/and computer within a ~50 meter range outdoor.

The unit should contain:

* 3 independed LED stripes (NeoPixel)
* battery (rechargeable)
* Transceiver

They plan to 3D print the lighthouse, that will hold the components.

We already have NeoPixel LED stripes and Arduino UNOs. We have the code running for controlling one LED strip, setting different colors.

What kind of components would you recommend?
Will they need an external antenna?
Any ideas for managing recharging in an easy way?

Jimmy

adafruit_support_bill

Re: COMPONENTS FOR LED/RF PROJECT

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I'd take a look at some of our new Feather processors with built-in RF modules. Some of these have pretty good line-of-site range - even without additional antennas. There are matching RF modules that you could interface on the computer side.

The Feathers are all designed to work from 3.7v LiPo cells and have charging circuits built-in. You would just need a USB port or other source for 5v to charge.

JIIE

Post by JIIE »

Thanks for replying.
adafruit_support_bill wrote:I'd take a look at some of our new Feather processors with built-in RF modules. Some of these have pretty good line-of-site range - even without additional antennas. There are matching RF modules that you could interface on the computer side..

The ones I find on your page says "does not have a built-in antenna"?

adafruit_support_bill

These can do more than 1 mile line-of-sight with just a 'quarter wave' antenna. That is just a short piece of ordinary wire - about 3" long for the 915MHz modules
More elaborate high-gain directional antennas can be fitted for additional range. But a simple quarter-wave should be sufficient for your application.

JIIE

Post by JIIE »

OK, I see. That would be great for this project.

I forgot to mention that the lighthouse should light up when something is approaching from any direction (360 degrees). What would be the best way for sensoring this (omnidirectional)?

adafruit_support_bill

What are you trying to detect? If it is people (or warm-blooded animals) PIR sensors would work. They have about a 120 degree field of view, so 3 of them would give you complete coverage. https://www.adafruit.com/products/189

To detect other objects approaching, something like an ultrasonic sensor will work. These have a range up to about 20'. https://www.adafruit.com/products/3077?q=ultrasonic&
The field of view is rather narrow though, so you would either need a bunch of them, or put one on a turret and have it scan back and forth.

Another option would be a camera with motion detection capability: https://www.adafruit.com/products/397

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “For Educators”