Memorial day is 05/25/2015 – Orders will ship out on May 26th. There will not be any deliveries or shipping on Monday. Any order placed after 11am ET on Friday May 22nd will not start to ship out until Tuesday May 26th.

Is my bone definitly broken ?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Is my bone definitly broken ?

by Bartabas on Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:54 am

Hello,

I have to embbed the bone (rev 5) on a vehicle so I have to power it up by another mean than USB or DC input. So I decided to power it up through the P9 extension header, ground on pin 2 and 5V power on pin 6, as it is said in the §8.4.1 of the system reference manual.
Unfortunatly, I inverted the side of the P9 extension header and I plugged the 5V power on pin 42 (name C18, signal GPIO0_7) :( . After that, the bone does not work anymore, nothing happens when I power it, except a short blink of the LED near the power input.

Do you think I definitly broke my bone ? Or what to do to make it working again ?
Other question : is my original idea is the right way to power the bone ? If the input current is not powerful enough (less than 1A), can the bone be damaged ?

Thank in advance for answers.

Alain.
Bartabas

Re: Is my bone definitly broken ?

by adafruit on Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:08 am

yes, if the power was inverted, a negative supply could break the chip, even if the power is only 20mA!
You will be to replace the entire bone

adafruit