Adafruit Proto Plate for Beagle Bone Black

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sfugarino

Adafruit Proto Plate for Beagle Bone Black

Post by sfugarino »

The spacers and screws in this kit are not long enough. When my beaglebone is mounted to the plate there is not enough room between the bone and plate to insert a mini usb cable into the bone's usb client port. I'm using the cable that came with my beaglebone.

tim mcpherson

Re: Adafruit Proto Plate for Beagle Bone Black

Post by tim mcpherson »

That is odd because my Proto Plate is cut away near the boards USB connector. Even though the boards USB connector is nearly contacting the Proto Plate, I have no problems inserting the cable end into it. Would you post a picture of it?

sfugarino

Post by sfugarino »

No, the cutouts are under the HDMI port and the SD card on one side and the Ethernet jack and power connector on the other. The client port is to the left of the Ethernet jack when facing that end of the board. It is not over the cutouts. The plate is symmetric, so flipping the board around doesn't help. There are two sets of holes on the plate, but the beaglebone only fits one set of holes.

sfugarino

Post by sfugarino »

Notice I only one end of the board mounted. The other end is resting on the usb cable.

tim mcpherson

Post by tim mcpherson »

OK, I'm sorry, I see what you are saying. However, my Proto Plate is not symmetrical with respect to the board ends, and it is cut in such a way that it is clear beneath the USB connector.

sfugarino

Post by sfugarino »

That's non-sense. Looking at the photo on the product page you can see the cutouts will be under the same parts of the board no matter how you place the board. Furthermore, you can see that the usb (client!) won't be over a cutout.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/702

The spacers and screws need to be longer.

sfugarino

Post by sfugarino »

I'm being stupid here and I apologize. I assumed the side of the board with the paper was the bottom. Duh, it is the top. Flipping the board over will correct things. Unfortunately, I've already stuck everything to the board. Damn I feel stupid.

tim mcpherson

Post by tim mcpherson »

I do it all the time! I didn't even think about or consider that scenario, but, it does explain the problem you were having. Oh well, have fun!

sfugarino

Post by sfugarino »

What type backing was on the bottom of the breadboard.and where can I get some Had to tear it up getting the breadboard off the panel. I'd like to replace it so I can remount the breadboard.

tim mcpherson

Post by tim mcpherson »

Maybe some thin double sided foam mounting tape would work fine for that application.

jfrodsham

Post by jfrodsham »

Hello,
I think in the plate kits I just received, either the feet are too small or the screws are too long. Am I doing something wrong?

-Justin
bone2.jpg
bone2.jpg (77.9 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
bone1.jpg
bone1.jpg (46.07 KiB) Viewed 1211 times

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Try reversing the screws so the head is next to the feet.

PhilQ

Post by PhilQ »

I bought a proto plate today and am having the same problem of the screws extending past the rubber feet. The nuts have a larger footprint than the screw head and I don't feel comfortable having them on the PCB. I have discarded the four original feet and installed six square feet that are twice as thick. Much better!

jfrodsham

Post by jfrodsham »

PhilQ,
I agree. I am curious why Adafruit seems dismissive.

-J

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The plate is designed to have the screw installed with the head at the bottom and the nut at the top. The screw head is a known thickness and its extension below the bottom surface of the assembly will stay within known tolerances.

The extension of the screw end beyond the opposing surface depends on the total thickness of the assembly and how tightly you set the nut. For the materials in question, it's functionally impossible to set the tolerances for that extension to within less than about 3mm, which is larger than the overhang shown in the photo above.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”