Ethernet not available

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
stonechild

Ethernet not available

Post by stonechild »

I just received a Beaglebone Black and find I need Ethernet to set up WiFi. Unfortunately I don't have access to Ethernet. I already have one of the two adapters that you sell so didn't go as far as the tutorial until after I tried to set up WiFi on the BBB.

Is is possible to set up the files manually that are being set up using Ethernet?

Dennis

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Ethernet not available

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Can you log in through the USB-Ethernet connection?

stonechild

Post by stonechild »

I'm not sure what USB-Ethernet connection means in this case. Do you mean using the USB connection on the BBB to connect to a machine other than mine with an Ethernet connection? In that case no?

As it turns out, though, I can live without WiFi for now. I'll just use a microSD to get files back and forth.

adafruit_support_mike

The BBB has software which allows you to use USB as a network connection. It's explained on the BBB startup page: http://beagleboard.org/Getting%20Started

stonechild

Post by stonechild »

Thanks for pointing that bit about using the USB to get an Ethernet connection. If I saw that when I went through the "Getting Started" write up, I didn't understand its significance. Ironically, now that I have the info I need I can't find the Wifi adapter I was planning to use. So I may be ordering another.

In the meantime I came across something about the Logic Supply Compact USB Wifi Adapter where they talk about precompiling the drivers. It's at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-CI ... v29ly6yl74 under Quick Installation.

stonechild

Post by stonechild »

While looking around for WiFi adapters I came across a way to get on the Internet without an adapter. The method which is described by Derek Molloy on YouTube only requires a USB connectuon to a Windows machine that is connected to the Internet. The video is at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzRVVtG ... -2ujmLFoQg.

So until I get a WiFi adapter for my BeagleBone Black I'm covered as far as the Internet goes.

Derek Molloy has done a number of very useful videos on YouTube on topics about the BeagleBone and the BeagleBone Black He also has done things on embedded microprocessors.

adafruit_support_mike

Yep.. we like pointing people to Derek's posts and videos. He's done a great job of exploring and showing how the BBB works.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”