BBB rev C won't boot

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cayou99

BBB rev C won't boot

Post by cayou99 »

I can't get my brand new BBB to boot. I have tried both using it tethered to my PC and as a standalone, following the quickstart instructions. I have also tried booting from an SD card. Here is what happens when I apply power:
-Blue power LED turns on
-Sometimes (not every time) the green and orange LEDs of the RJ-45 connector turn on for a couple seconds.
-When connected to the PC, the network manager detects the AM335X Ethernet-USB chip, but can't manage to connect to it.
-That's it. No other LEDs turn on. The BBB is not detected as a mass storage drive either.

Is it defective or am I doing something wrong?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: BBB rev C won't boot

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

In rare cases, the OS flashed to the eMMC at the factory has some kind of glitch that prevents it from booting.

Try flashing a fresh copy of the OS and see if that gets things working. Make sure you have a book and a snack before you start though.. it takes a while.

cayou99

Post by cayou99 »

I managed to get it to boot once, but that's it. Just the one blue LED staring at me. I tried pushing the reset button and powering down by holding the power button with the same results.

Help!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Let's try one last thing before throwing in the towel:

Give the SD card a low-level reformatting with the SD Association's official tool: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

All major operating systems are a bit casual about the low-level format of an SD card, but embedded devices like the RasPi and BBB can't devote the same kind of resources to error-checking.

If that doesn't do any good, you'll need to run an RMA through Circuitco's official page: http://beagleboard.org/Support/RMA

They insist that all returns go through them because that gives them the best and fastest information about issues that occur in the field.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”