Beaglebone Black rev C unable to Flash eMMC

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Hans2

Beaglebone Black rev C unable to Flash eMMC

Post by Hans2 »

I got a beaglebone black rev C a few month ago. According to its manual has a 4 GB eMMC, no microSD card was included and was running Debian.
Recently, the board stopped responding and the user LEDS did not light up; the error in the running machine (windows 8) was that the connected USB device is corrupted.

Obviously, I thought this is a software issue and tried to flash eMMC. However, it never could flash eMMC and always failed. I noticed the board could boot up by microSD, however, after I tried more times to flash eMMC I noticed the board is not able to even boot up from microSD. I have tried this with procedures for both windows and linux. Since the procedure is clear this can be a bug in the hardware or software. Whatever it is, it is a huge block.

Following steps were taken to flash eMMC.

1- Format microsd (if already used). I used SD formatter software in windows.
2- Get the Debian (I did it with both Debian and Angstrom on beaglebone black on this website: http://beagleboard.org/latest-images).
3- Verify the download is correct by md5 in the website and what win32 Disk Imager says).
4- Un zip with 7zip.
5- Use Win32 Disk Imager to write on microsd.
6- Enter microsd to powered off beaglebone black board.
7- hold s2 and power the board.
8- release s2 after all user LEDs light up.
9- Waite for 2 hour (it should take about 45 min though) but just to make sure.
10- power the board off and take microsd off.
11- Test the board.

What exactly happens on LEDs after words is that all of them get on and then I release s2. After words they all blink for couple of seconds; then D5 stays on and D4 and D3 go off and D2 blinks; this paterns goes on for couple of minutes; then D5 and D4 stay on. I let it be for couple of hours and then I proceed; however the board is still not performing.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Beaglebone Black rev C unable to Flash eMMC

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

That does sound like some kind of hardware problem.

For the sake of eliminating options, have you tried using another SD card?

Hans2

Post by Hans2 »

Yes, I have tried another SD card and it did not work.
I noticed I could boot the device from microSD card which has Debian in it though.
Is there a way to flash eMMC while running Debian from microSD card?
I tried to run download command for the Debian image file and save the file and then flash eMMC by 1) flashing the bootloader to /dev/mmcblk0p1 and 2) Debian image to /dev/mmcblk0p2. However the size of the image was too big for BBB.
Could you please answer following questions?
1- What are the ways I can flash eMMC while running Debian from microSD card? Can I store the Debian image in the microsSD card and access it while running Debian from it?
2- Is the above approach correct o flash eMMC? Meaning that I need to download bootloader and copy to /dev/mmcblk0p1 and copy Debian image to /dev/mmcblk0p2?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you can't flash the eMMC using two difference SD cards and images from the official source, there's probably some kind of hardware problem.

We don't do hardware support for the BBB because Circuitco (who make the BBB) insist that all RMAs be handled through their system: http://beagleboard.org/Support/RMA

I don't know how Circuitco will handle a BBB that stopped working after a few months. Our standard return/refund period is 30 days, and after that it's a judgement call. I think Circuitco probably works the same way, but don't know their policies.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”