Adafruit I2C Controlled + Keypad Shield Kit for 16x2 LCD

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tdicola

Re: Adafruit I2C Controlled + Keypad Shield Kit for 16x2 LCD

Post by tdicola »

Yep thanks that helps clarify it's the LCD shield. What's the issue or question that you have though, were you wondering what pins are output from the shield and could be connected to a BeagleBone Black?

werejag

Post by werejag »

where is the 3.3 volt taht is claimed to be part of this

werejag

Post by werejag »

hello is this on???? taps mic tap tap

yes i want to know what pins are needed

werejag

Post by werejag »

so no help????? please help?

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

So you'll want to look at the schematic of the shield to see where the I2C connections are made with the shield. You can get the schematics here, but here's a look at them directly:

One very important thing to consider though, since you're trying to use an Arduino shield with a Linux board (like the BeagleBone Black, but it also applies to most other Linux boards too like the Raspberry Pi) you need to be very careful about the voltage of the I2C lines. Arduino shields run at 5 volts, but the BeagleBone Black, Raspberry Pi, etc. run at 3.3 volts. If you send 5 volts into a BeagleBone Black input (like the I2C pins) it can damage it permanently. Instead of powering the shield with 5 volts try powering it with 3.3 volts to see if the display will work with the lower voltage. If it doesn't work then you might need to get a level converter chip and wire it up to convert the shield's 5 volt I2C voltage level down to 3.3 volts that are safe to use with the BeagleBone Black.

As far as wiring goes, from the schematic you can see the upper left two pins are the SCL and SDA lines. Those need to go to SCL and SDA pins on the BeagleBone Black. Then in the bottom middle connect the ground line to BeagleBone Black ground, and the 5V pin on the shield to 3.3 volt power on the BeagleBone Black (this is to run the shield off 3.3 volts like I mentioned above).

Does that help clarify how you might repurpose the Arduino shield to work with the BeagleBone Black?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Beagle Bone & Adafruit Beagle Bone products”